• 11-16-2004, 06:56 AM
    Seb
    From tiff to jpeg conversion, strange loss...
    Hello,

I have been shooting RAW files for the past few weeks. As I only have Photoshop Element 2 right now, I convert the RAW files into 8 bits TIFF files (with Nikon Editor) to be able to open them in Photoshop. When I save a picture to display on the critique board here with the "save for the internet" option (in PS...) it results in strange loss (even if I set it to the highest possible jpeg quality). The resulting image is actually brighter than the TIFF and there is a noticeable loss in colours saturations. It literaly looks like I would have desaturated and brightened the picture on purpose.

Do any of you guys could explain what's going on?

(on a side note, I would like to know the difference betwen a CMJN TIFF and a RVB TIFF).

regards

Seb
  • 11-16-2004, 02:17 PM
    Peter_AUS
    Re: From tiff to jpeg conversion, strange loss...
    What Profile are you saving the file in for the net, not extension but profile, like sRGB (which is what it should be for the net), or is it aRGB or is there no profile.

It does make a difference how you save it with profile and how it is displayed on the screen, out of the editing software, like in the browser.
  • 11-16-2004, 02:41 PM
    Seb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    What Profile are you saving the file in for the net, not extension but profile, like sRGB (which is what it should be for the net), or is it aRGB or is there no profile.

It does make a difference how you save it with profile and how it is displayed on the screen, out of the editing software, like in the browser.

Hello Peter,

I think that you hit the nail! My D70 put out sRGB files but my profiles on the computer (Mac OSX 10.2.8) where all messed up. I have turned everything back to Adobe RGB (1998) and so far, the problem seems to be gone.

Thank you

Seb
  • 11-16-2004, 03:24 PM
    Peter_AUS
    Glad to help, we have all been caught by that one at one time or another I am sure.