Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Thread: resizing

resizing

Hi,
    I am wanting to submit a photo to a photographic magazine for comment. They require Jpeg images and 900 pixels along the longest dimension. If I edit with photoshop and go to image size my 4 MB photo has 3000 pixels (105cms)along the longest dimension at 72ppi. So I tick resample and make it 900 pixels - the image then goes to 31 cms along the longest dimension. However if I submit this at 72 ppi surely it would be unsuitable for printing. Hence if I untick the re-sample box and make it 300 ppi it shrinks to 7 cms. Thought this would be too small for a photographic magazine to print.
    What am I doing wrong here? Would a magazine really want an image like this. Should I resample and make it larger - but that would be defeating the purpose.

Re: resizing

Do exactly what they ask for. The pixel dimensions are all that really matter. Dpi is flexible and only a function of the display size. However, it can't hurt to ask them if that's what they really want and point out that it's a very small image. But maybe they only want a very small image.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information