Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Recommendations for Slide scanner

I'm ready to copy my personal (children's pics) slides onto a CD, as well as copy 35mm & 2 1/4² negs and money IS an object, since I won't be using the copier for Commercial use.
    From what I've read, the Epson Perfection 4490 (4800x9600dpi), which can be purchased for $200, does an adequate job for 'the home owner'.. Any pros or cons here, or other recommendations??
    FYI: My present scanner does not have slide capabilities; nor do I use it a lot except for documents....that reminds me, I'd also want to have OCR feature.

Thanks.

Re: Recommendations for Slide scanner

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    From what I've read, the Epson Perfection 4490 (4800x9600dpi), which can be purchased for $200, does an adequate job for 'the home owner'.. Any pros or cons here, or other recommendations??
    Depends on your expectations. Like anything photography-related, you can spend as much as you want. If it was only 35mm film then I'd definately recommend a film (as opposed to a flatbed) scanner, but any film scanner that can handle 120 will likely cost several hundred for an older used one, or maybe 2-3 times that new. A scanner like this will be the way to get tons of detail out of the film for the highest quality prints, and big prints at that.

I wonder if maybe the Epson wouldn't be a bad way to start, and possibly add an inexpensive 35mm film scanner later if you need it. I have my doubts that it will do a good-enough job with 35mm, but there's only one way to really find out. I've seen some new ones in the $200 range but can't remember who made them. Even an older Nikon LS2000 wouldn't be a bad thing to look for, but make sure they have a driver for whatever operating system you're using first.

Dedicated Film Scanners

Cajun -
    I'm a big advocate of dedicated film scanners. However, my experience is from a few years ago when they were a lot more expensive and there was a huge quality difference between flatbed and film scans. My first scanner was the Nikon LS 2000, which I paid about $2000 for, in 1997 or 98. But for the past couple of years I've been hearing really good things about the Epson flatbeds. The scanners in the $400-500 range are supposed to be excellent and a lot of pros who shoot medium and large format are using them for commercial work. I expect that if you stepped back one generation or so, you'd be getting yourself a really good flatbed that will do a very good job scanning film. But if you want to buy a new one the 4490 looks very good. It's certainly better than what was available for more money, just two years ago (Perfection 3200).
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information