Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Question Program to clean up images for sharpness

Is there such a program to sharpen up slightly blurred images. Besides the one that cost over $700. I'm looking in the 100 to 200 dollar range. Thanks.

Re: Program to clean up images for sharpness

Try The Gimp... it's free and powerful. A little clunky in the interface department but it does a lot of what Photoshop does.

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

I'd start there before spending any $$$.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    Try The Gimp... it's free and powerful. A little clunky in the interface department but it does a lot of what Photoshop does.

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

I'd start there before spending any $$$.
    NO NO NO! That's not a helpful answer by any means. The guy wasn't asking for open source zealotry or a photoshop replacement, he was asking for software options to help him enhance or restore an image that is blurred. The GIMP is barely able to edit photos...let alone do the enhancements that this poster was asking for.

If you're going to offer advice, please have some idea what the poster is asking for and of what you're talking about before name dropping software products.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon
    Is there such a program to sharpen up slightly blurred images. Besides the one that cost over $700. I'm looking in the 100 to 200 dollar range. Thanks.
    In all honesty, software can't correct an image that is slightly out of focus or blurred. It is possible to sharpen an image to correct for some blur or out of focus, but there are limits to what software can do, and the end result ends up looking...wrong...in some way.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

masdog is mostly correct. I've spent a good deal of time focusing on sharpening techniques in that $700.00 program, and I've learned some things:

What a program CAN"T do is create detail where no detail exists. In laymen's terms, a program can never truly sharpen an image. What it CAN do is increase the contrast at the edges of an image, creating the illusion of sharpening. Applied at the proper settings, through an edge mask, it can make slightly (sometimes even moderately) blurred images appear sharper. But there are so many variables involved- from the size of your screen to your monitor's resolution to the view percentage used for sharpening the image to what kind of printer you use (assuming you're sharpening for print, which is different from sharpening for screen) to the three separate controls of the command itself. Even if you know EXACTLY what you're doing, it's really easy to make a mistake and get it wrong. And as masdog pointed out, if you get it wrong, you can do more harm than good to your image.

Still, I think it a worthwhile endeavor. One of the biggest leaps forward my prints have ever taken was when I learned how to sharpen an image for print. The most common compliment I've gotten since is "your camera takes good pictures". To me, that's an indication that you CAN sharpen an image without making it look "wrong". When they attribute a good image to the camera instead of the post processing, I have to believe I'm doing something right.

A good 65-70% of the time that I sharpen an image, I use the Unsharp Mask command. Unsharp mask is available on Photoshop Elements 5.0, which retails for under $100.00.

- Joe U.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Like Joe, I would also recomend Photoshop Elements. It has a lot of the same functionality as the full version of Photoshop, for a fraction of the price.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information