portable scanners?

Printable View

• 04-07-2013, 11:39 AM
    Frog
    portable scanners?
    Not sure this is the right forum.
    I have several old family albums....dating back to the 1920s.
    I'd like to get these scanned and though we have a pretty good scanner, it would be a long drawn out process. I've looked at a few portable scanners which all seem to have mixed reviews. It would be easier for me to be able to pull out one album at a time and sit somewhere and do a few at a time. There are no large pics. Many are
    Does any one have experience with one or recommendation?
    Thank you!
  • 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM
    dl4449
    Re: portable scanners?
    If you have a good scanner what would be the advantage of having a portable one??
    I scanned about 1500 of my old pictures with a flatbed scanner with a 35mm adapter and when i didn't have the neg put the pictures on the scanner.
    Took me about a month to complete the task.
  • 04-07-2013, 06:34 PM
    Grandpaw
    John, you might want to check this out before buying a scanner. Jeff

Calagaz | Shoebox Scans

I have purchased my last two cameras from Calagaz Camera store and a few lenses. I will probably be getting a D600 from them in the next three or four weeks.
  • 04-09-2013, 12:53 PM
    Frog
    dl, it is more a space and time thing as the computer is shared and once I get started, I don't want to be interrupted or rearrange the project.
    Grandpaw, that looks to be a pretty good deal. The problem for me is that I don't want to send them out for fear of them being lost. Maybe a bit of an irrational fear but with no way to recover them, it would be a major disaster. I'll consider it though.

Thank you, both.
  • 04-09-2013, 06:51 PM
    Photo-John
    Have you considered using a DSLR and taking pictures instead of scanning? You could buy a copy stand so you can make sure everything is square. It's not the same as scanning but it allows you to work away from the computer and a decent DSLR should give you quality as good or even better than a flatbed scanner.
  • 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM
    Frog
    Hadn't thought of that, PJ. Definitely an idea.
  • 04-09-2013, 09:10 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Hadn't thought of that, PJ. Definitely an idea.

That's how we did it before scanners :)
  • 06-17-2020, 01:14 AM
    chia88
    I don't know what to say really what you share is so good and helpful to the community, I feel that it makes our community much more developed, thanks. bmi calculator
  • 02-24-2022, 12:33 AM
    goalken
    Thank you for sharing this information; it was quite helpful to me. atari breakout