Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Thread: Photoshop 7.0

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Photoshop 7.0

Holy crap Is there any place to find a basic starting point for this? Meaning practicing? I am so lost in this program. I have used ACDSEE in the past (not to it's full potential I am sure) but PS has me almost afraid to use it :lol: The only editing I have ever done is adjusting light and cropping, I'm a tad overwhelmed.......

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Photoshop 7.0

There are some how-to's available on the web. Check out pop photo's how-to section for some tips. I'm trying to remember how I learned photoshop, and I will tell you it is a bit of a process and will take some time. I highly recommend taking a class. I learned a whole lot more in a lot less time than on my own. Good luck and happy shooting!

Lori, that was the first Adobe photo editing program I ever used. Before that was Jasc paint shop pro. Photoshop 7 seemed like a steep learning curve coming off of the very easy Jasc.
    I opened it up and continued "playing around with it" until I started understanding what was going on. (just don't save anything yet until you know what your doing somewhat)

The most used and important tools in photoshop would be the image resize, and crop tool. Those would be good starting points to get the hang of. Learning and getting familiar with them will also get you more comfortable inside PS and from there you can experiment and begin to expand your knowledge and skill. As Canuck said, taking a class would be great if you have the time
    Just keep working in it and don't get discouraged.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I've Photoshop 7 and ACDSee, I can relate.

Who ever wrote the online manual for PS7, should be forced to read their work. I can almost guarantee that they wouldn't write another manual again.

With the online manual, I had a tendancy to keep clicking on the blue words, blue headings and blue phrases. Which meant I then clicked on the blue word I had clicked to ... which meant I then clicked on the blue word ... I'm guessing you've the drift by now. Only click on something blue if it turns the page.

Don't click on the blue words, just read a page, then read the next one, then another.

From the Library I borrowed the wrong book for Dummies, that was even more boring but helped. There are so many books for dummies on all Photoshop programmes ... I qualified as a Super Dummy having ordered a book on Photoshop Elements for Dummies rather than the appropriate Photoshop book for the lesser dummies.

How dumb was that?

Here in my home town, two of the Universities and one of the Institutes of Technology, hold evening classes in Photoshopping (if there is such a word) in their Recrestional Learning for Adults programmes. A semester course here is about $500AU.

Warren
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 08-22-2008 at 01:06 PM.

:lol: thank you Warren, I really needed a laugh in a big way. I'm licking my wounds from another poster
    Sadly I did all that clicking too I will find an ultimate dummies book LOL

I still use photoshop 7. Try this book. It comes with a cd that walks you thought it all.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.de...qsort=p&page=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADOBE-PHOTOSHOP-...d=p3286.c0.m14
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Lori, You are most welcome, and good luck.

I use the ACDSee programme for downloading my camera images to. The programme is tidy and uncomplicated for transfers, it really is first class. Then I transfer what I want to edit to other programmes, that have the tools setup to the way I like. The way ACDSee displayes the downloads is fantastic, big and bold. I find it is better than any other programme that I've seen for displaying the bullk storage stuff.

ACDSee is also very good for modifying images, from RAW to the other file types, prior to sending them else where to edit because it allows dragging and dropping at will.

Something Canon could learn from.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 08-22-2008 at 01:41 PM.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I also must say that I've ditched both Photoshop and ACDSee in favor of Lightroom. It's easier to learn and use than Photoshop and for me at least it takes care of 99% of all my post-processing needs. You may want to check it out.

Plus, since Lightroom never actually modifies the original file, you are free to to play and tweak all you want without fear of messing up your pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    I'm licking my wounds from another poster
    Think I know what you're talking about...

The first time I opened whatever version of Photoshop it was (5.0 LE, I think), my first thought was "great - what now?". I've plugged Scott Kelby's "Adobe Photoshop xxx for Digital Photographers" books before and you might want to look for one. Note that xxx = whatever version of PS you have since a new one comes out with the PS upgrades.

Since PS7 is fairly old, you might find a used one on ebay or half.com for next to nothing. This series of books doesn't really teach you the program; it's more a book of recipes for how to fix a specific problem. This will get you started, and may be all you ever need depending on your usage.

I know you do AV
    Thanks all, I swear I wish I had ACDSEE lol I had lightroom, and, oh this pains me....my dog ate the disc. I tried shoving him in the DVD player to no avail......:cryin:
    Kidding he lives and Im stuck with photoshop lol I will try what you all suggested ty!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I still use photoshop 7. Try this book. It comes with a cd that walks you thought it all.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.de...qsort=p&page=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADOBE-PHOTOSHOP-...d=p3286.c0.m14
    I looked on Amazon and ordered the book and CD in very good condition for $7.00 today after reading your suggestion, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks! I will get that too!

drg

You can download Lightroom and then just apply a serial number. The disk isn't necessary. Otherwise it is still a thirty day 'free' version without the serial number.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

*sigh now if I can find the number....... I think I'm more trouble than I'm worth lol

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

If the dog ate the CD, maybe he knows the serial number ... count the barks
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

A 1000 starving comedians and you wanna be one here *sigh :lol: however it's worth a try lol

: I'm licking my wounds from another poster
    Sorry Lori, didn't mean to make it sound as though it should be easy, if thats the way it came across. It certainly isn't.
    I just wanted to say that you should not feel intimidated by it. Getting the tutorials and CD is the logical and probably best approach. I just don't follow logic too well at times . . .

gary

NO NO NO! It was not you! Not even on this thread or specific board. You are always more than helpful to me!
    Oh, and you are preachin' to the choir on the logic thing :lol:

whew. . .and there I thought once again that I was the Questionable Person of the day :blush2:

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I looked on Amazon and ordered the book and CD in very good condition for $7.00 today after reading your suggestion, Jeff
    You will love the book. My copy came without the CD and I still went through a lot of it without it. I paid more than $7.00 but that was a couple of years ago. Good luck. Hmm Do we review books?????
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

A 1000 starving comedians and you wanna be one here *sigh :lol: however it's worth a try lol
    I'm glad you did laugh, I'm not sure what I'd do if the cat scratched up my software masters sharpening her claws !

If you have the original packaging you can use the serial number form that to re-install the software.Same as my 1.0 serial number allowed me to use the 2.0 beta.
    In theory if you go to Adobe and download the trial version, it's complete, and you can register it with the serial number form your boxed product.

Your problem has spurred me to go check that I have made backup copies of the CDs, and the license numbers so I can reinstall my software when I buy my next PC.
    This one's on its last elbows.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I did the same thing AFTER the carnage was discovered. Not the dog mind you LOL I haver to cut my losses with this one and if anyone needs a dog with Lightroom already installed I can hook you up *sigh
    Mean while, I will learn Photoshop I guess lol
    Thanks everyone

I did the same thing AFTER the carnage was discovered. Not the dog mind you LOL I haver to cut my losses with this one and if anyone needs a dog with Lightroom already installed I can hook you up *sigh
    Mean while, I will learn Photoshop I guess lol
    Thanks everyone
    Sounds to me like a cold boot is in order, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

one of the things that gets me is that there are usually several ways to achieve the same result in photoshop. the learning curve is steep. I know that i do many thing inefficiently and others much better. personally i am not much of a book learner as i prefer to do things. adobe has a series of online video tutorials which i find help a lot. admitedly they will be for the newest versions of photoshop, but often times it is the understanding that is important, as with things like layer masks etc where the key concepts haven't changed at all. other tools such as the healing brush and history brush won't even be there on the older versions. that said i use CS3 as work buys the latest version for me, but i would be happy with version 5 most of the time.

Thread Information