Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Epson 3800 or Epson 4880

I want to upgrade my printer and are looking at both of these printers and can't make up my mind what one to get !

I like the Epson 4880 but it would also be nice to print 4 x 6 photos too on the Epson 3800

I'll like to hear your views on these printer please.

Scott

Re: Epson 3800 or Epson 4880

The most noticeable difference you may see with the better printer, the 4880, is speed and the new inkset using a brighter more vibrant magenta ink. Color photos with alot of bright reds and similiar colors may have more pop with the 4880, but otherwise they would both produce outstanding prints.
    The 3800 has some strong advantages including the price. It will produce 4x6 photos as you mentioned. It also switches automatically betweent the two different black inks. One for printing on matte papers and the other black ink that is used for printing on glossy papers. If you feel you will be using different types of media, then this is an important consideration as this automatic switching saves alot of black ink.
    I personally would go with the 3800, because if I were going to shell out near two grand for the 4880, I would rather add another thousand and go for the 7880.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    The most noticeable difference you may see with the better printer, the 4880, is speed and the new inkset using a brighter more vibrant magenta ink. Color photos with alot of bright reds and similiar colors may have more pop with the 4880, but otherwise they would both produce outstanding prints.
    The 3800 has some strong advantages including the price. It will produce 4x6 photos as you mentioned. It also switches automatically betweent the two different black inks. One for printing on matte papers and the other black ink that is used for printing on glossy papers. If you feel you will be using different types of media, then this is an important consideration as this automatic switching saves alot of black ink.
    I personally would go with the 3800, because if I were going to shell out near two grand for the 4880, I would rather add another thousand and go for the 7880.
    Thanks for your nice reply, I just came back from Hunt's photo and picked up the Epson 3800.

It's still in the box the 4 x 6 printing did it for me also the cost was lower and I need to save for the new Canon 5D mkII as I want to get one.

I'm going to setup the printer after this message.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scomeau1
    Thanks for your nice reply, I just came back from Hunt's photo and picked up the Epson 3800.

It's still in the box the 4 x 6 printing did it for me also the cost was lower and I need to save for the new Canon 5D mkII as I want to get one.

I'm going to setup the printer after this message.

Scott
    Congrats on the new equipment. Well a 5D and 3800. . .good going.
    Once you have got your feet wet with the printer, be sure to write a review on your feelings about it in our reviews section. We would all benefit from your experience with it.
    Thanks
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information