Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Photo editing software for Macs

I have just bought a digital SLR (Nikon D40x) and have found that the software my mac came with doesn't allow me to do much photo editing. I only have iphoto on it which is fine for viewing photos but fairly useless for photo editing. I had a look at Aperture but as a beginner it seems to be more than what I need and quite expensive. Can anyone recommend any other software?
    Many thanks,
    Suzanne

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Photo editing software for Macs

Welcome to the site Suzanne.

Did your camrea come with any photo editing software that you can instal? If so, that would be the first place I would start.

There are several programs out there that you can use. Most people use Photoshop. Since you say you're a beginner, I would suggest Photoshop Elements. I'm not sure what version they are up to now. It's a scaled down version of Photoshop, but it will have everything a beginner needs to get started, and then some, at a fraction of the price of the full version.

Other people are using the Nik software that is produced by Nikon that many people use as well. I have never used it, so I don't know anything about it.

There is also a free photo editig program called GIMP, but I have never used it, and I know nothing about it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Photoshop is always the mainstay, but it's far more expensive than Aperture, which is actually on the cheap side as far as good programs go.

Aperture, though (and Adobe Lightroom) are more RAW converters and "Digital Asset Management" software than full scale editors.

Most people who stop short of Photoshop do go for Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro.

Nikon Capture NX is another very good program, and licenses will be pretty easy to find as Nikon is giving them away free with Nikon D3 and D300 cameras- and many of those buyers are either getting both or already have NX.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

I found that for casual photos editing and such, Photoshop elements is great. It is at version 4.0 for mac though. Fairly easy to learn and use. Only about $80.00ish..

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

I agree with Photoshop Elements. You can usually find some pretty good deals on Ebay, especially for older versions. I have version 1 and 3 and still haven't figured out the advantage of version 3. It came with a camera, awhile ago. I also have Paint Shop Pro X program. I haven't used this one as much because I'm so used to Elements. They'll both do more than you'll need for quite some time, if not forever.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

PSPP X2 is a very inexpensive and powerful editing software. It can view NEF files which
    is native to NIKON. It can be had for as little as $49 US.

Photographer and Graphic Designer

You can try with Adobe Photoshop and can get this for either it's windows or macs. For all devices this is available.

photo editing software for Macs

Lightroom is really great for easily straightening/aligning/fixing the perspective - if there is lens warping for instance. It's essential for me because I shoot a lot of 10mm wide angle shots. Photoshop probably does that, but lightroom makes it very easy. Also while using Lightroom, you can apply presets from the website

I use snapseed, it is great. I can edit to a great extent with it.
    Photographer at Background Remove

I use which is one of the best photo editing services that offers quality photo enlargement. Their imaging solutions are flawless and deliver the highest image quality, full of color and life. Photos processed with this service are flawless, they can bring life to life in real time before and after images, respectively.

Thank you very much for these great cake recipes, I have learned a lot from your web blog temple run

Thread Information