Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Thread: Photo filing??

Unhappy Photo filing??

Hi,

I am not sure if this thread should go in the “Digital photography” section or the “computer software” section.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I take a picture, the exposure info and the like is recorded to the metadata automatically, but of course there is no mention of what camera equipment I used for the shot.

After some time, I start to forget and it is no fun having someone ask me what I used for a particular photo, and I can’t remember.

~Should I open each original picture in a software program, like Paint Shop, then add the information to the EXIF data?

~Or, should I place pictures in folders that are named with the equipment that was used? This is more complicated to do, it creates a mess of folders and images.

~I am currently trying to make documents named with a date, then in the document I write, for example:

August 20, 2008

8:07 A.M.

To

12:25 P.M.

Pictures taken in this time period used the following equipment:

#1. Tripod.
    #2. UV Haze-1 filter.
    #3. Lens hood.

5:05 P.M.

To

6:32 P.M.

Pictures taken in this time period used the following equipment:

Etc. Etc. Etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would very much like opinions about how you keep track of what equipment was used for each picture.
    Last edited by A.M.D.A.; 08-20-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Re: Photo filing??

Quote Originally Posted by A.M.D.A.
    ...but of course there is no mention of what camera equipment I used for the shot...
    I'm surprised... My Canon camera model is always available in the metadata, even right from the Windows Explorer file manager. Sadly, they do not record the ISO...
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist
    My Canon camera model is always available in the metadata...
    What I meant is that in the metadata there's no mention if I used a tripod or not, or if I used a skylight filter or not.

The camera model I used IS in the metadata, but not the accessories used.

Lightbulb ISO in the metadata

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist
    Sadly, they do not record the ISO...
    Try opening your photo in a more advanced image editing program. (Paint Shop, Photoshop).

With my camera, the ISO setting is not shown in programs like Microsoft Office Picture Manager. In Corel Paint Shop, even the flash output setting is shown. (If I used the flash).

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Interesting question. I use Bridge to add info to my images such as keywords, and copyright info. I have a set of info with my contact info and things like that saved. When I download my photos, I go into that folder in Bridge, and select them all, and go to Tools > Append Metadata and click on the file I have saved. It adds all of that info to all of the files I have selected. You could set up something similar and add your info the same way. You could also add keywords to your photos to tell you what you used.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks for replying mjs1973 :thumbsup:,

Paint Shop does allow me to add stuff like keywords, comments, copyright and picture description.

In Windows XP, right-clicking a photo thumbnail then selecting properties > summary also allows embeding customised info to the photo.

Smile Found solution.

I think I have now found an effective way for sorting and organizing my images, using DigiKam photo library software. Its FREE for download!:thumbsup:

If you use lightroom, you can edit the metadata en masse, and add this info to a group of files.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Thread Information