Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

pc or mac for photo editing

im thinking about getting a laptop for photo editing, i have a pc but have only ever heard good things about Macs...

any ideas what would be best for photo editing ( speed of prossesing, ease of use , etc)

pcs vs mac ?

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: pc or mac for photo editing

Quote Originally Posted by andywatson00
    im thinking about getting a laptop for photo editing, i have a pc but have only ever heard good things about Macs...

any ideas what would be best for photo editing ( speed of prossesing, ease of use , etc)

pcs vs mac ?
    There isn't any real difference. Macs cost much more than PCs but you get a faster machine for the price. Of course, faster is seldom seen in real life applications. Apple makes the hardware as well as the software, that should limit the amount of problems they have with the OS and always has. Of course, Leopard is still being called "Apple Vista" because of very sloppy and harmful bugs. Most have been cleaned up with updates but it caused quite an uproar. This is, hopefully, just an anomoly, not a new trend.

The UI is very different between Windows and Macs. Macs are seen by some as easier to use while others, such as myself, find MacOS extremely annoying and limiting. YMMV.

Apple is rated as #1 in service. They are also the machines most likely to need service. Dell computers, for example, are very reliable but the service, if you need it, tends to stink. I have had no problems with Dell service but I am one of the rare lucky ones.

Security is much stronger on PCs because they grew up needing it. Apple has always lived by the philosophy "security through obscurity." As their market share rises, attacks are starting to show up. Right now, most Mac users are sitting ducks for attacks. At a recent security conference, it took only two minutes to hack into Leopard on a Mac Air, two days for Windows Vista, never for Ubuntu Linux.

Whatever, go to a store and try them out! Do the things you would normally do. Don't get suckered with the virtual machine nonsense: if you need Windows apps, buy a PC. The Mac should be able to stand on its own.

Macs are sold in a few big box stores and at their own very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly company stores. PCs are everywhere, thank goodness you don't need a salesman because they won't know anything anyway. Choose the one you like best. If you feel the Mac's extra cost is not worth it, get the PC. If you absolutely love the Mac, pay the premium and buy that. It won't make a lick of difference when running applications no matter what fanboys rant!
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

This is a can of worms you really don't want to open. Trust me.

However here is my $.02. At one time Macs did have significant advantage when it came to graphics/video. Photoshop first came out only in mac format, Avid used Macs exclusively for their video editing hard/software packages etc. They were thought of as multi media machines, this mentality still sticks around. Times have changed a bit though.

In college (I went for broadcasting, mid to late 90's), I was told to learn the ins and outs of Macs, thats all I would ever see in the real world. I even took a photoshop class where we exclusively used Macs, however while everyone else had to go to the mac lab to work on their projects, I was in my dorm room working on my PC as I knew that my copy of PS worked the same as those in the lab and I could drink and work at the same time in my dorm.

When I did get out into the real world, I used one aging mac for video playback, but that was soon retired (replaced by a PC based product). Everything else was PC, video editing, PS, Illustrator and so on were all done on PCs, even Avid a company once fully entrenched in the Mac, had switched to Windows machines for many of their products. Why? Simple answer to that, PCs have most of the same functionality as a Mac and are a hell of a lot cheaper to buy and maintain (more compatible parts).

For the home user, at this point in time I'd say it comes down to personal OS preference, budget and what software you want to run. There are some Mac specific programs (Aperture comes to mind) that are very popular. Most of the other popular photo editing programs (pretty much all the Adobe stuff, GIMP and some others) come in both flavors.
    Or you could buy a Mac and a copy of Windows and run a dual boot machine via BootCamp, just make sure to buy a Windows mouse so you can right click.

Speed is more dependent on the machine itself, there are fast PCs and slow PCs, fast and slow macs. Something well equipped and modern should be fast in both environments. I will however say that there are more well equipped Macs than PCs, this is solely because there is only one company making them. There are no companies making budget Macs, but you can certainly find a lot of underpowered/low priced PCs on the market. The fact that the same company is making the software and assembling the hardware does mean that compatibility has been thoroughly tested and there should be far less bugginess, but many of the major PC manufacturers also test their configurations.

Ease of use is a hard thing to quantify. Photoshop is Photoshop, within the program everything should be very similar. Outside of a specific program, I again say that it comes down to preference. Many people say Macs are easier to use, I completely disagree. I find the oversimplification to be a deterrent and find a PC much easier to use, but a lot of this comes down to familiarity. I would say my ratio of PC to Mac time is close to 10:1.

Macs are far less vulnerable to viruses at this point in time. This does not mean they are invincible, Macs can pick up viruses and spyware. There are many more PCs on the market, consequently folks who write malicious code can do a lot more damage with a PC virus than a Mac virus. This may or may not change as more Macs enter the market.

Hope that helps, sorry if that was more like 2 dollars than 2 cents.
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

Wow if I had known you were posting at the same time, I could've saved myself some typing!! I do have two things to add to your very well written post:

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    Apple is rated as #1 in service. They are also the machines most likely to need service. Dell computers, for example, are very reliable but the service, if you need it, tends to stink. I have had no problems with Dell service but I am one of the rare lucky ones.
    I work in conjunction with the IT help desk at my job and we deal with Dell quite a bit. There service (both what I experience at work and at home) has never been anything, but excellent. You may have to talk to over seas tech support for the minor stuff, but if anything is broken and you are covered, it is shipped quickly without any major questions. If it requires a technician to fix it, they are usually there within a day or two.
    We always steer people towards Dell, primarily because of their customer service and if they don't want a Dell product, Lenovo (IBM) comes in a distant second. HP and Sony are by far the worst of the major players, absolutely horrible customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    At a recent security conference, it took only two minutes to hack into Leopard on a Mac Air, two days for Windows Vista, never for Ubuntu Linux.
    Ubuntu is sweet! If Adobe would start making PS for Linux, I'd switch teams in a second. I've thought about using Wine (lets you run windows programs in Linux), but it still sounds too buggy for me.
    I've been running Xubuntu (lighter weight Ubuntu) on an old 500Mhz 320Mgb ram 6 gig hard drive IBM laptop (around 8 or 9 years old) that I got for free and it runs like a dream. I use it as my traveling computer. I can even edit photos on it via GIMP without slowing down the machine too much
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy
    I work in conjunction with the IT help desk at my job and we deal with Dell quite a bit. There service (both what I experience at work and at home) has never been anything, but excellent...
    Although my experiences have been graet, too many people I know have had horrible service. Dell just lost a major class action lawsuit regarding service:

"Part of the suit claimed that though Dell gave the impression of an "award-winning service" available to consumers "24 hours a day, seven days a week," consumers faced "nightmarish obstacles" to get help and technical service for their computers. Cuomo said New York had received 700 complaints about Dell -- more than the number of complaints for any other related subject. "

Ubuntu is sweet! If Adobe would start making PS for Linux, I'd switch teams in a second. I've thought about using Wine (lets you run windows programs in Linux), but it still sounds too buggy for me.
    I love Ubuntu as well. What holds it back, as you say, is the application software. Too many Linux programmers think like programmers, not users. Thus, that horrid GIMP interface. For me, the killer for Ubuntu is the lack of a decent GUI math equation editor (I use MathType constantly) and the ragtag collection of drivers, its hit and miss at best. Version 8.04 has made huge improvements but the OS always seems to fall just a little bit short. For security, it's tough to beat.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

As other's have said there's no real difference for photo editing. I prefer MAC for mobile (laptop) editing because the UI makes my work easier. I use a PC at home simply because SPSS and the like don't run on a mac .
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Thread Information