Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    Liz

Need Help removing PW etc from pc for return

As I stated in another thread about my new Dell purchased from Staples - it has crashed multiple times since I purchased it almost 2 weeks ago. My computer repair person (Dennis) found the source of the crashes for the most part, but the same problem keeps coming up - it has a major problem restarting. I won't go into detail here, but I need help removing my password, software, files, etc.

I have a call in to Dennis, but haven't heard from him and I only have until tomorrow to return the computer.

ETA: there is an "feature" somewhere (if I can find it) thtat will restore the computer to a specific (back) date. Dennis used this at one point after the computer crashed to get rid of some downloads that were possibly causing a problem. Could I use this option to get rid of everything that was installed? My only fear is that the computer will crash again before I get my personal info/pw out.

If not - here is what I need help with.

Password - how do I remove my password and Admin pw - and not just "change" it?

Also - how do I remove
    Software: besides using the "remove software" feature for Office 2007 and Elements 6 is there anything else I have to do to get all my files, etc. off of the computer?

AVG virus protection
    Verizon
    Gmail

Hardware - besides removing from "remove hardware" feature

Palm OS Desktop (including driver)
    Printer
    Monitor

Other
    Google Desktop
    Cross Loop (gives access to another person to work on my pc from another pc)

Anything else I need to do or am forgetting?

Thanks for any help and your patience with a "computer explanations for dummies" person.

Liz

Re: Need Help removing PW etc from pc for return

Can you just restore it to factory settings? Most computers these days (if not all) have that facility - often in a partitioned section of your HD. I had a similar problem with this computer when it was new .. just resetting it to original settings cured it. The problem in the end was Norton (which I will not have on my computer after that).

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    Can you just restore it to factory settings? Most computers these days (if not all) have that facility - often in a partitioned section of your HD. I had a similar problem with this computer when it was new .. just resetting it to original settings cured it. The problem in the end was Norton (which I will not have on my computer after that).

Mike
    Mike,

I've been trying to figure out how to restore it to the factory settings before I return it - I did some searches but nothing came up. I can't keep this computer because if there is something wrong with it, I have no recourse except to send it to the manufacturer. I'm going to buy at Costco - 90 day return policy.

If you know how I can do this or where to get the instructions, please let me know.

Thanks.
    Liz

Liz .. I don't know your machine, or your operating system. Typically though, it is either found in the start menu ... in mine, for instance it is Start/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Alternatively, sometimes it comes on a CD with the computer. Good luck with it!

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Liz

Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    Liz .. I don't know your machine, or your operating system. Typically though, it is either found in the start menu ... in mine, for instance it is Start/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Alternatively, sometimes it comes on a CD with the computer. Good luck with it!

Mike
    I found it! It was in the Windows Help & Support Menu - Search engine. It was so easy! Just control-alt-delete brought up 5 options including change and/or remove password.

With a little help from a young man (college student) we removed all the hardware and software, drivers, etc. that were installed since I purchased the computer. So it's pretty much back to where it was when I purchased it. My user name is still in there which isn't a big deal, and it won't be resold (hopefully).

So, it's going back tomorrow! Whew! what a relief!

I'm now the owner of an HP Pavilion a6547c AMD Athlon x2 Dual-Core Processor 5000 with 500GB HD and 4GB memory - Windows Vista Home Premium 65-bit SP1. It wasn't my first choice, but so far so good.

And you know what? IMHO - the HP w2216h 21" monitor is waaaayyyy better than the Dell 22" which I really did not like at all - I would have sold it.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

Liz

Liz

Update: I returned the computer to Staples. They took it back without a problem. They repair computers there and one of the staff that works in repair showed me 6 Dell computers waiting in line to be repaired. He said they get a lot of Dells in for repair. That really surprised me when I saw all those Dells' as I thought Dell was one of few brands that didn't have problems.

I'm just glad they have a decent return policy.

Liz

64bit and 4 gig of ram I can imagin you are dancing right now Liz:thumbsup:

For future reference, in case anyone stumbles upon this thread and still needs the password stripped, the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor does exactly what you were looking for. You burn the 3mb iso onto a cd and then boot off the CD, when it starts asking you all the technical stuff you can just press 'Enter' over and over and it will select the default setting for everything. In the end, by default, it strips the user 'Administrator' of it's password.

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Hit F11 when it boots up before the splash screen should get you into factory restore if it has one.

Liz,

Only just seen this.

If I was returning a product I would firstly get a copy of Eraser which is free off the net and then erase the files I put on there using 35 pass Gutman overwrite. I would then overwrite all the empty disk space.

Then I would reinstall the system using SkipT's method.

Hope that helps for the future.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Exclamation I found that connector you were looking for

:idea: :cryin: Cindy, is this the thing you were looking for?
    www.liangdianup.com/computeraccessories_1.htm
    It's on the list of computer accessories and parts. They have the DVI video thing to convert that jap monitor to work with your other computer. Just about any other kind of wire adaptor, usb connectors, monitor extension wires, ps2 extention wires, and all kinds of female and male swap connectors and things that I think would help your shop. If that above link don't work then goto www.lducompany.com and click on computer accessories. Let me know if that is what you need and give me your email address again.

Thread Information