Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

**Nikon/Photoshop NEF Conversion Software?**

Hello-

I recently bought a D300 Nikon. I want to use the NEF(RAW) capabilities. I have Photoshop CS2 and the free-ware "Nikon Transfer". CS2 has no RAW conversion capability but I can convert using the Nikon Transfer software.

I understand that Nikon Transfer converts as Nikon CaptureNX2(same conversion program), you just don't have the fine tuning, editing, ability as NX2.

My question. If I use the Nikon Transfer software to make the conversion, can I then import the image to CS2 and make all further image editing?

I'm under the impression that the image has to be converted(to .jpg or .tiff) then it can be edited by CS2? In this sense, Capture NX2 would do me no benefit over Nikon Transfer for conversion purposes if I were to follow with CS2 editing?

I own CS2 and want to use it. I understand the CS3 RAW converter is not as good as Nikon Transfer or NX2. Can I convert in Nikon Transfer, import to CS2 for editing and get optimal results? If not, how?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions...
    Later-

Bob

Re: **Nikon/Photoshop NEF Conversion Software?**

CS2 has Raw conversion capability, just not for your camera (it's too new, support for the D300 started with CS3)

The purpose of shooting in RAW is to due as much editing as possible BEFORE converting the file format. In that sense, I'm not sure that Nikon Transfer offers the same capabilities as Capture NX2.

However, I have another suggestion to try first. Adobe has a "generic" RAW format called DNG (Digital Negative). While CS2 cannot read NEF files from a D300, it CAN read DNG files. Adobe offers (or used to, anyway) a free DNG converter download.

So IF you can find the converter download, and IF you can use it to convert your NEF files to DNG, then you should be able to use CS2's RAW converter to edit your images.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to compare the processing capabilities of Nikon Transfer and Capture NX2 to see which offers more processing power- though I can already guess.

Hope this helps.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Thanks for the reply Joe-

I'm reading allot on this but always seem to not know much for sure. I'm under the impression now that CS2 can edit DNG, so I'm going to see what I find on that conversion
    Later-

Bob

Yes, CS2 can, indeed, edit DNG files.

Alright. I did a little digging. I've dealt with Adobe's website before, and it can make you feel like a rat in a maze. SO....

Here's a link to the DNG converter download for Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3941

And for Macintosh:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3940

Go to the page, and click on the "Proceed to Download" button. This will download both the DNG converter, and the latest version of the RAW converter. Drag the DNG converter icon to your desktop, double-click on it, and you should be in business. (I use a Macintosh, so Windows may be slightly different.

I tried it on my Mac, and it worked like a charm. Let me know if you have any problems. Oh, and throw away the Adobe Camera Raw Converter. It's only good on CS3.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Thread Information