Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Nightmare

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Solid State Drives

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Just curious, does anyone use those hand held storage/viewer devices that Epson and some other companies have out?
    Yes, I have a Hyperdrive Space, and a Xs Drive II.
    They are only storage, not viewing.
    I use them to back up the cards while out in the field.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Yes, I have a Hyperdrive Space, and a Xs Drive II.
    They are only storage, not viewing.
    I use them to back up the cards while out in the field.

Thanks fx101 and Paul. I'm interested in one and would like to know more about what others are using and their experiences and needs with them. I'll start another thread as I don't want to turn this one around into something else
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Well it's all about storage and backups - albeit at a different point in the workflow.
    I don't find the screen on these pocket devices large enough to be useful, I use my laptop to view images.
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Well it's all about storage and backups - albeit at a different point in the workflow.
    I don't find the screen on these pocket devices large enough to be useful, I use my laptop to view images.
    And to top it off the colour is calibrated to some arbitrary gamma. That is, DON'T use it to gauge colour. I only use the screen to remember what I have stored on it.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Quote Originally Posted by fx101
    And to top it off the colour is calibrated to some arbitrary gamma. That is, DON'T use it to gauge colour. I only use the screen to remember what I have stored on it.
    I would not use the screen to gauge anything more than I would use my cameras screen for, which is basically the use of the histogram and some degree of determining sharpness.
    The good thing is with some of the better screens such as the Epson (4" screen said to be very sharp) and the wolverine unit they allow you to view histogram and RAW file info and just basically being able to see everything done from the days shoot in such a portable device is pretty cool. It's main purpose is immediate back up, but the other features (as well as an FM radio, ability to view video, listen to music and all kinds of other stuff) are just an added bonus to make these a cool little gadget with lots of real funtionality.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: My Nightmare

As for Photo-John's problem- PJ, you should look into using a commercial data recovery service, not just data recovery software. A lot of these places have their own proprietary software and techniques and can get usable data off drives that have been submerged, run over, or burned.

For prevention, the price of hard drives has fallen enough that it's possible to keep a couple of external USB drives on hand for backup. The chances of having the computer fail, plus two external backup drives is unlikely. There is the problem of 'all your eggs in one basket' if you keep all your drives in one place.

Personally, I have two HDs, plus DVD backups I keep in an out building. There are a lot of issues with DVD longevity, but the out building is unheated/un-air conditioned, and I've never had one fail to read. I do regularly create new DVDs from the original source, though, as I figure it's just a matter of time. And I've only just recently started experimenting with digital cameras, which means I also have the negatives. I'm toying with the idea of using SD cards like film and never deleting images. They're far less expensive than a roll of film, so they may make a good solid state backup medium.

Quote Originally Posted by California L33 View Post
    For prevention, the price of hard drives has fallen enough that it's possible to keep a couple of external USB drives on hand for backup. The chances of having the computer fail, plus two external backup drives is unlikely. There is the problem of 'all your eggs in one basket' if you keep all your drives in one place.
    I agree L33

All these drives or the storage mediums do not come with a definitive life spam. The worst part is we can't be certain about WHEN they can malfunction, it can be right now or it can be years later. So the best way to have keep your photos safe is to have them stored at different locations. So, if something happens to my photos stored in home computer I know i have them at my office as well as at a friend's place too.

Wow that is a nightmare.

John has you looked at a Drobo FS? I moved all my photos,music and movies to a 3tb thunderbolt external and backup everything to the Drobo. The Drobo has 5 2tb drives and i can be setup to have 2 drives fail without losing any thing. If one or 2 does fail you can hot swap another one.
    Drobo: Small Box | Big Storage

Quote Originally Posted by PicBackMan View Post
    I agree L33

All these drives or the storage mediums do not come with a definitive life spam. The worst part is we can't be certain about WHEN they can malfunction, it can be right now or it can be years later. So the best way to have keep your photos safe is to have them stored at different locations. So, if something happens to my photos stored in home computer I know i have them at my office as well as at a friend's place too.
    The best way to keep your photos safe forever is to use cloud storage, It will cost you some extra $ but worth.

The problem with cloud storage is will the company be in business as long as you are?
    PAul

I've started to keep mail messages on Cloud storage (in the mailbox). I now have a generous quota (at least 5GB) on all my mailboxes and I access them from multiple devices (PC, tablet, smartphone). Makes no sense putting the messages on a PC (unless I change mail suppliers).

At home the situation is similar. I have several PC's and tablets. The most important stuff (including JPG's) is on a NAS with RAID-1 (two disks duplicated) with a daily backup onto an external drive. Every month I swap the external drive with one in the cellar (5 floors below in another part of the building). Every year I take a special copy to a second location 500 miles away.

My less-important files (RAW) are kept on external drives with a backup copy in the cellar.

I have 100GB of cloud storage included with my Internet access but I don't use it. It's not big enough for my photo Library, it would take a month to upload the data plus I don't trust the Cloud anyway.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I find cloud storage to be the most reliable destination to backup photos. Probably because we haven't heard of any issues with backing up photos and videos to any cloud storage. Best for an offsite backup.

I only see one limitation and i.e you have to have an internet connection to access stored photos and videos. Everything else is just perfect (it seems).

IDM (Internet Download Manager) is the main download manager for Windows.
    The product permits you to download and spare recordings to your PC framework and watch them later.
    It speeds up to 6X quicker than your normal internet download speed.
    It additionally permits you to defer and continue downloads from the last known point of interest.

IDM Crack has a simple to-utilize interface. This makes it simpler for anybody to utilize, even the individuals who are not well informed.
    It likewise includes a shrewd rationale quickening agent, which separates records in littler parts and downloads them as different documents.
    Internet Download Manager is a quick download device that reasons for download all sort of records quickly.
    IDM is the best programming to deal with and plan for Downloads. It is utilized for brilliant record determination and multi safe part downloading moreover.
    It shows its parts the spare as you wish to download into a little piece.

Great post, fun and full of information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information