Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    Liz

MS Office - install in 2 computers?

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm upgrading my computer, but want to keep the old one active. This is what I'm hoping to accomplish:

Old computer: 5 y/o Gateway Pentium III - Windows XT:

I have Office Small Business 2000 installed in this pc and would like to upgrade to SmBs 2007.

New Computer: Dell Inspiron 530 PC Intel Core Duo E4700 - Vista 32-bit

Obviously, I would have to install the old 2000 version on the new pc prior to upgrading.

Will the new pc accept both - the old version of MS 2000 and upgrade?

I recall reading a few years ago that Microsoft changed their rules from allowing the licensee to install software into just one pc per household - to allowing installation in 2 pc's in one household. Also, if this is true, I'm wondering if the "new" rule includes SmBs 2000.

If there is some website/link available vs relaying the info here, please let me know.

Thanks for any info.

Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: MS Office - install in 2 computers?

Latest Microsoft office 2007 Home/Student edition says up to 3 computers.
    I was just looking this evening in Costco

Generally the licence is the EULA that you got with the product.
    As modified by any upgrades you downloaded.

So a newer licence for a newer product won't apply to older products.

Microsoft Business products give almost no information on the MS website, they are pushing you to a local MS partner who can make $$ off your enquiry.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Latest Microsoft office 2007 Home/Student edition says up to 3 computers.
    I was just looking this evening in Costco

Generally the licence is the EULA that you got with the product.
    As modified by any upgrades you downloaded.

So a newer licence for a newer product won't apply to older products.

Microsoft Business products give almost no information on the MS website, they are pushing you to a local MS partner who can make $$ off your enquiry.
    Thanks Paul,

Yes, I agree - I've tried finding information on the MS website more than once - and finally gave up. I appreciate your help. When this is over, I'll at least be a little more educated. Wow! I can't believe that so much has changed since I last bought a new pc - 5 years ago. There is really no baseline to compare.

Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

It changes every year, but the computer I want always costs £2000
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz,

Question: Do you still need the business version - of not then the home student version is cheaper than the upgrade. Never tried installing anything that old on Vista so can't help on the install of 2000.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Liz,

Question: Do you still need the business version - of not then the home student version is cheaper than the upgrade. Never tried installing anything that old on Vista so can't help on the install of 2000.

Roger
    Roger,
    Last evening I went to Costco - they are having a sale on Microsoft products. Reading the upgrade info on the Business as well as Home Student upgrade, both versions can be used as an upgrade to "Works" which is already installed on my new "Vista" computer.

I couldn't decide which to get so bought both since they are running out of stock quickly. Price on Student version was $80 after $40 off and Business version was $150 after $90 off. I think I'm just going to keep the Home Student version. You're right - I don't need more than this.

Question: I can install the Home version on my old pc since it will upgrade Office 2000. However, this pc has Standard Office which includes Outlook. If I upgrade to the new 2007 Home version which does not include Outlook, it won't "disable" or effect the old "Outlook" on the pc, will it?

Also - I noticed when I went to Dell online that they suggested upgrading the surge protector with new computers. Is this necessary? I have a 5 y/o Belkin Surgemaster but it doesn't give the amps/voltage info. Do I need an upgrade here?

Thanks again for all of your help here! :thumbsup:

Liz

When installing office you can shoose custom which allows tyou to select what is installed so Outlook or any other portion is optional. They should not effect each other or they don't using Office 2003. Saying that take a good working backup of the system first, so that you can recover if things go wrong.

Surge protectors I believe aren't rated for amps in use and should work with all computers. Try it and be prepared to get a new one if it blows. Its just a big fuse sort of thing.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Liz

Thanks Roger,

The person who works on my computer during the year when I have problems, etc. will be coming tonight to set all of this up. I've typed/printed all the info provided here - and hopefully I now have everything in place (both in my head and in my office!).

Liz

Thread Information