Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Laptop for photo editing

Hi everyone,

I realise this has been covered before however times move so quickly so was hoping you would help me out.

My current laptop has broken, has a graphics issue, luckily the shop has recognised the fault and evn though out of warranty will give me some money back. This leaves me in the position of laptop shopping!

I used to have a fair idea about computers, but a couple of years of not having to sell/buy one means i'm not quite upto spec anymore! I'm looking for a laptop to use CS4 on, however i'm impatient so end up having several things running at once, so looking at 4gb RAM, i'd like a decent sized hard drive but have an external and can buy another. Its the processors and screen that are causing some confusion. This will be my only machine (not ideal I know but a comprimise I'm happy with) Will be trying to get screen calibrated but obviously a good screen to start off with is a bonus!

Stumbling point is a budget of around 500 pounds! Thanks in advance!

Vikki

Re: Laptop for photo editing

I have a Toshiba. If you can get Windows 7 64bit. It is pretty fast. Also extra external memery in case eomething happens.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

n8

I don't know what the currency exchange is between pounds and usd, but I use a dell studio xps. It has the specs you need (4gb ram, 500gb hard drive, fast processor, 16" hi-def screen), , so photo editing is a pleasure.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

£500 leaves you in the second hand market, I think.
    My Sony vaio cost more than that and I think it's underpowered for photoshop.
    Barely good enough for Lightroom.

You' re right about the RAM, and an external disk while slower than internal is a cost effective way to upgrade. Plus with two of them you can easily make a backup from one to the other - don't forget even if it's your only computer you should be making backup copies of all your important files!

Dell XPS of a spec I wanted was around £3000, but I was going for largest screen, most memory, windows 7 64 bit, solid state disk for boot, 1G disk for images... way over powered for the job - faster than my work computer in the office

Multi-core processor still isn't a major performance boost when running one program, but once you start multi-tasking running many programs it helps a lot. But not at the expense of raw speed, my 2.5GHz quad core workstation is slower than my 3GHz dual core desktop - because almost no programs I use are multi-threading effectively.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information