Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Canoscan fs2720u vs Epson v700 with vuescan

Hi,
    I am embarking on digitizing vast amounts of slides and 35mm negatives. I have a Canoscan fs2720u scanner with Vuescan pro as my software. My quandry is to go this route(not concerned about time investment) or get a Epson V700. Many of the negatives have scratches and or dust. I also use Aperture 3 on my mac and am wondering is the flatbed with digital ice is a better route or the film scanner with aperture brushes in post production to take care of the dust and scratches? Any advise would be appreciated, Thanks

Re: Canoscan fs2720u vs Epson v700 with vuescan

Mixed bag. You'll get consistently better scan with the Epson flatbed. While running the ICE will slow down the scan, it may prevent you from having to do a lot of work in post-processing.

That said, if you have the time to invest, and actually LIKE doing pp, you generally get better results doing it yourself rather than relying on software to look at the image globally.

For my money though, with a lot of scans to do, I'd invest in the Epson.

I run Aperture 2.1 for organization, and export to PS for editing, so I can make no specific comment on the brushes in Aperture 3.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Thread Information