Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Complete digital darkroom brings me full circle...

Well, I picked up an Epson 2200 printer over the weekend. While I have yet to hook it up, I've already spent quite a bit of time pouring over the manual as well as Epson's paper selection guide and sample pack, trying to get a feel for what this marvel of technology is capable of and what materials I might want to use for my work.

As I thought more and more about how the new printer will change my overall workflow (it's my first photo-quality printer), a strange feeling started to come over me. It was pretty wonderful, and one I have not had in a LONG time...

This may seem obvious, but it dawned on me that I have finally closed the loop in my personal creative process: I now had a complete digital camera and darkroom workflow, one that would allow me to take virtually any artistic vision (within the limits of my equipment), capture, edit, and print it in an almost limitless number of ways with almost instant feedback.

I am capable of going from idea to exhibition size and quality prints, at reasonable costs and with a control unlike anything I had dared to dream of previously, all without the need of another person or company to have to communicate with and depend on.

As I said, I've had this feeling before. It was when I had my own darkroom and processed my own film and prints. Yet that was different. My darkroom then was strickly b&w, was fairly expensive (and messy) at times, and while extremely enjoyable, could often be a long drawn out process with its share of frustrations and failures.

Conversely, my digital system is perhaps the "ultimate darkroom", capable of handling b&w, full color, and everything in between. It combines all of the labs and printers I've ever used and puts them right at my finger tips. That's pretty heady stuff...

Of course, I realize that this system is only as good as the skill of the person using it, and while I still don't consider myself a "master" editor or printer, I do feel that I have a good enough understanding of the process and how to control it that I will get results I'm sure to be pleased with.

PLEASE don't read this as a knock against film. I still shoot film, and am NOT trying to point out its limitations. I am simply declaring my excitement for another way of creating images.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this little bit of self-discovery. IMO, that's a huge part of the satisfaction of being an artist.

Some of you have probably been set up like this for a long time, take it for granted, and no longer give it a second thought. Personally, I NEVER want to lose this feeling...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Ghost
    Great post Steve. I enjoyed reading it. I *once* had the same feeling but broke my "loop" when I sold my printer.

Interestingly, I seem to enjoy the photo taking moments more than viewing prints as of late. I guess that's because I like getting outdoors more and more lately. The weather is finally starting to dry and warm a bit.

Anyway, I'm way off subject now. Just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your post.

It really is liberating, isn't it?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

There's always another question!

Talking Fly...... Be Free

Enjoy the newfound feeling as long as you can, as sooooon you will be entraped with the need for faster, wider, greater res...........it's just the beginning....like in high school.....the first kiss.......but i digress....

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Well, I picked up an Epson 2200 printer over the weekend. While I have yet to hook it up, I've already spent quite a bit of time pouring over the manual as well as Epson's paper selection guide and sample pack, trying to get a feel for what this marvel of technology is capable of and what materials I might want to use for my work.

As I thought more and more about how the new printer will change my overall workflow (it's my first photo-quality printer), a strange feeling started to come over me. It was pretty wonderful, and one I have not had in a LONG time...

This may seem obvious, but it dawned on me that I have finally closed the loop in my personal creative process: I now had a complete digital camera and darkroom workflow, one that would allow me to take virtually any artistic vision (within the limits of my equipment), capture, edit, and print it in an almost limitless number of ways with almost instant feedback.

I am capable of going from idea to exhibition size and quality prints, at reasonable costs and with a control unlike anything I had dared to dream of previously, all without the need of another person or company to have to communicate with and depend on.

As I said, I've had this feeling before. It was when I had my own darkroom and processed my own film and prints. Yet that was different. My darkroom then was strickly b&w, was fairly expensive (and messy) at times, and while extremely enjoyable, could often be a long drawn out process with its share of frustrations and failures.

Conversely, my digital system is perhaps the "ultimate darkroom", capable of handling b&w, full color, and everything in between. It combines all of the labs and printers I've ever used and puts them right at my finger tips. That's pretty heady stuff...

Of course, I realize that this system is only as good as the skill of the person using it, and while I still don't consider myself a "master" editor or printer, I do feel that I have a good enough understanding of the process and how to control it that I will get results I'm sure to be pleased with.

PLEASE don't read this as a knock against film. I still shoot film, and am NOT trying to point out its limitations. I am simply declaring my excitement for another way of creating images.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this little bit of self-discovery. IMO, that's a huge part of the satisfaction of being an artist.

Some of you have probably been set up like this for a long time, take it for granted, and no longer give it a second thought. Personally, I NEVER want to lose this feeling...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Agree...

I know this sounds terrible (considering I haven't even used the 2200 yet), but I'm already thinking 13" wide is too small...

Anyway, considering I'll be using the printer mostly for commercial and portfolio work, and especially knowing I don't have $1800 to pick up a sweet little PRO 4000, I guess I'll just have to make do... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeffie
    Enjoy the newfound feeling as long as you can, as sooooon you will be entraped with the need for faster, wider, greater res...........it's just the beginning....like in high school.....the first kiss.......but i digress....
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information