Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Horizontal Lines

I have a problem that first started some time ago but I have had no luck fixing. We have a Pentax OptioMX camera. It took great pictures until this spring when my wife took it on a cruise. She says she didn't drop it, nor did it get wet, but all of a sudden during the cruise all the pictures started coming out with horizontal lines across them. They look great on the camera, but when we transfer them to the computer, things go awry. I'm probably posting too late to get a fix, our son is graduating military boot camp Friday and I was hoping we could take some pictures, we can't afford a new camera.

Re: Horizontal Lines

May be the memory card not the camera. I've had this fault with a dodgy memory card. Try another card or reformat this one (IN THE CAMERA ONLY) and test it again.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

I've tried that, have three different cards. Results the same on all of them unfortunately. Do I dare try buying a new card? Think that might help?

Then I'd suspect the camera.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Maybe the usb cable or whatever you use to transfer them?
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Ken,

Suggestions to try - use a card reader to get the pictures onto the PC - borrow or beg one to test. Failing that buy one they are quite cheap, make sure you have a USB cable to fit between the camera and the PC.

Failing the above take it into one of the self service photo stores and see if the same thing happens on their screens, or ask your local friendly Photo store if they could read the card for you.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

All who have posted, thank you. I appreciate your thoughts, you've confirmed to me that it likely is the camera.

I've used a card reader to move files to the computer for a while and it's always worked very well, so I'm mostly confident it's not the card reader.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have to look into getting it fixed, or replacing it.

Quote Originally Posted by kena84
    I've used a card reader to move files to the computer for a while and it's always worked very well, so I'm mostly confident it's not the card reader.
    I'd still suggest trying another card reader. Everything fails eventually, and usually without warning. Just because it worked yesterday doesn't mean it's going to work today.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

In my opinion it may be memory card problem or it may be the usb cable problem. So you can check both things.
    prior to joining the impulsive group hank freid gained operational and asset management experience

Quote Originally Posted by hank freid news
    In my opinion it may be memory card problem or it may be the usb cable problem. So you can check both things.
    Kind of an older thread. I guess we never got a post mortem on the cause other than a 'likely'. I could see a faulty reader causing the problem. I could see a faulty memory card causing it, but I've never heard of a USB cable causing this type of problem. Don't computers use error correction when doing the actual file transfer? You either get a perfect copy or nothing? (And if you're transferring a corrupt file you get a perfect copy of that corruption).

If you tested it with other memory cards then i think unfortunately your camera is faulty. try consulting some technician before buying the new one.It may save some money...:aureola:

Thread Information