• 01-28-2007, 12:54 AM
    Frans
    Free Raw image processing Software
    For those interested in getting an extra few F points on either side of their image try the following software and let me know what you think.

RAWShooter Essentials 2006
    Found at:
    http://www.photo-freeware.net/raw-sh...essentials.php

UFRaw, stand alone or runs in conjunction with GIMP
    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/
  • 01-28-2007, 07:59 AM
    SmartWombat
    Re: Free Raw image processing Software
    Rather than download form another site, I would go to the maker http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...essentials.asp
  • 01-28-2007, 10:31 AM
    Photo-John
    Unfortunately, it's not available anymore. But I gave RawShooter Premium a Choice Award for 2006. It's the best RAW conversion program I've used. They aren't continuing support for new cameras, though. So if you've got an XTi or other recent camera, you won't be able to use it.
  • 01-29-2007, 02:18 PM
    Frans
    I was actually talking about “Essential” version of RAWShooter that the company has made Free Ware and is readily available from either the web site that Paul mentioned or the one that I posted. It seems from the data sheet that it may not support the Canon 400D.
  • 01-29-2007, 02:52 PM
    Photo-John
    I've the free version on my laptop and encourage anyone who has a supported camera to try it out. Although the pro version has more tools, Essentials is also excellent. Just don't expect them to support any new cameras. Adobe owns the technology now and you'll have to buy the new Lightroom software to get it for new cameras.
  • 01-29-2007, 03:01 PM
    photophorous
    I've been using Rawshooter Essentials since May. I like it a lot. It's the only raw converter I've used besides the worthless program that came with my D70s, but I see no reason to upgrade until I move on to a newer camera that's no longer supported. It's fast, easy, free, and has plenty of adjustability.

Paul
  • 01-31-2007, 07:19 PM
    Frans
    I am surprised that no one has commented on UFRaw? I find this an excellent program and I actually use more often than “Essential RAWShooter”. This mainly due to its 16bit curve facilities.
  • 02-01-2007, 03:56 PM
    SmartWombat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frans
    I am surprised that no one has commented on UFRaw? I find this an excellent program and I actually use more often than “Essential RAWShooter”. This mainly due to its 16bit curve facilities.

I found UFRaw near impossible to install successfully ... without also installing the GIMP.
    Probably because the GTK+ toolkit install failed.
    I found it almost impossible to use.
    I was completely unable to produce an acceptable image from even a properly exposed RAW file.
    It lasted about 5 minutes on my machine.

Raw Shooter Essentials installed without needing other applications or toolkits and worked immediately with understandable, usable controls.

UFRaw looks like a developer's application, whereas RSE looks like a user's application.
    Seems I am no longer a code hacking geek, I'm turning into a PHB :(
  • 02-03-2007, 07:49 AM
    shanonx
    any alternatives to rawshooter? i wanna try similar softwares too, but cant find one.
  • 02-04-2007, 05:03 AM
    Frans
    Paul thank you for your comment. I was a little more lucky than you it seems. My installation went quite smoothly from memory. I have it installed on both XP and Feodora. I use Feodora for accessing the WEB mainly it resists viruses a lot better than XP. The UFRaw on Feodora does not have as many features as on XP. I found UFRaw no different to get use to that PhotoShop or RawShooter, they all seem to some quirks.
    Frans

Hi Shanonx,
    You can always use the Raw converter that comes with PhotoShop CS2 or the Adobe standlone converter.(You may need to down load the driver for your camera from Adobe) It has a large number of feature including getting rig of chromic distortion and vignetting effects. This product is a little more difficult to use than RawShooter. One other is “Bibble” which I haven’t used and don’t know much about. These, apart from the software that comes with the camera are the only raw converters that I know about.
  • 02-04-2007, 10:25 AM
    readingr
    Just downloaded Rawshooter Essentials 2006 from this location

http://www.photo-freeware.net/downlo...eng.php?id=414

Roger