• 04-08-2004, 08:46 PM
    christopher_platt
    Finally got a D70 - now how about software?
    Hey all-
    I'm new to digital, been saving for a D70 for months, finally sold my film slr and went for it. . .However, being in college (in beautiful but not so inexpensive Monterey) with a wife and baby pretty much means that it'll be a while before I can buy anything else to go with it. As far as software, the only thing I already have on my computer is Arcsoft photoimpression, which can't work with the NEF files, and seems to be a pretty weak program anyway. . .the PictureProject software doesn't really do any real editing, and photoshop will have to wait until I can take digital imaging at school and financial aid will pay for it (at least a few months away). How is Nikon Capture 4.1? Would it be able to do the basic enhancements on my photos (white balance, color levels, etc.) and at least get me to the point of having decently printable images, at least until I can get photoshop? Or should I just save the $150 and wait till I can get Photoshop CS (it's only $379 for students).
    Also:
    Like I said, I'm new to this digital thing. Should I worry about white balance a lot when I'm shooting, or can it be totally corrected after? I know with exposure, there's stuff you lose that you'll never get back if you don't do it right (highlight detail, etc.). Is white balance like that or is it totally fixable? What about all of the color level settings in the camera (sharpening, tone comp., saturation, hue adjustment, etc.) And what about color? I've been reading that CS supports - what is it - 16 bit or 24 bit color, or something like that? I vaguely understand color bit depth, and I know that the higher the better - but what is the D70 capable of? I thought I read somewhere that it only supported 12 bit, but maybe that was jpeg or a different color mode or something. . .

Thanks a million in advance.
    Christopher
  • 04-08-2004, 10:15 PM
    coloradoamigo
    Nikon Capture
    You should have gotten a 30 day trial version of Nikon Capture 4.0 when you purchased the D70. If you did, install it then upgrade to version 4.1. Once that is done, it will support the D70. I think 4.1 is pretty good, you can change pretty much anything you want if you shoot RAW (NEF). It can be slow, especially if your PC is showing it's age (like mine). I think it's the only software at the moment that supports D70 RAW files, but I'm sure Capture One will have something soon, ,just don't know the cost on that yet. NC 4.1, should you decide to purchase it, is $99.
    Another nice feature of NC 4.1, is that any change you make to the RAW file, even saved, can be changed again if you so desire. What I usually do is, if needed, make some adjustments in NC 4.1, such as white balance, tone, etc., and then save, then save as JPEG or TIFF, open in Photoshop, make some final adjustments, if needed, and then sharpen in PS because I use a sharpening action that I really like.
    I'm sure others that are more experienced will help you more, but I hope this helps a bit.
    Brian
  • 04-14-2004, 09:05 AM
    Kokopeli
    That's two Brian's in favor...
    Of using Nikon Capture.

It's a great program, perhaps even the best one out there for processing NEF files. It's well worth the C-note ($100) it will cost you.

Keep us posted on how you like your D70. I'm seriously considering getting one to replace my D100!
    ~Brian
  • 04-14-2004, 10:39 AM
    Sebastian
    I liked Capture, I agree it might be the best way to deal with NEFs. However, it will ONLY open NEFs, whereas C1 will open multiple formats from different manufacturers. Just food for thought.

I think ACR is really awesome, but I spend a lot of time in PS so it fits my workflow really well.
  • 04-14-2004, 01:13 PM
    Kokopeli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian
    However, it will ONLY open NEFs, whereas C1 will open multiple formats from different manufacturers.

Hiyas Sebastian,

Are you sure it will only open NEFs? It seems that my Capture 4 opens other formats as well. I know for a fact that it opens jpegs and will do some limited adjustments to them as well..

Also, what is C1?
    ~Brian
  • 04-14-2004, 03:08 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokopeli
    Hiyas Sebastian,

Are you sure it will only open NEFs? It seems that my Capture 4 opens other formats as well. I know for a fact that it opens jpegs and will do some limited adjustments to them as well..

Also, what is C1?
    ~Brian

Dammit...yes, I meant NEF is the only RAW format it opens...stupid... :rolleyes:

Thanks Brian, I see where that could confuse people. I think C1 has the benefit of ONE investment that opens many files, whereas NC4 is a one-trick pony, know what I mean? BUT, I am not sure if C1 opens any formats besides RAW, so it might be the other side of a double-edged sword...

And by C1 I mean Capture One....
  • 04-14-2004, 03:53 PM
    Kokopeli
    Thanks for clarifying that for me Sebastian and for spelling out what C1 is! And yes, I know what you mean. :)

~Brian
  • 04-14-2004, 10:55 PM
    christopher_platt
    Ok, Ok
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian

I think ACR is really awesome, but I spend a lot of time in PS so it fits my workflow really well.

OK. . .I'll bite. . .what's ACR? Like I said, I'm new to this whole digital thing. . . ;)

Chip
    P.S. Looks like I'll be able to come by photoshop CS a little sooner than expected - any recommendations on good books to start with? How's Uwe's? It looks pretty good -unfortunately I won't be able to take a digital imaging class until at least Jan, so any pointers to good books and/or web resources would be GREATLY appreciated. . .
  • 04-14-2004, 11:09 PM
    christopher_platt
    How delightfully fun. . .
    Quote:

Keep us posted on how you like your D70. I'm seriously considering getting one to replace my D100!
    ~Brian
    a digital camera is! Like I said, I have a 6 month old little girl, so that means I'm saving TONS on film. . .I just hadn't been shooting for a while with my film SLR because of the cost of decent development and printing. . .Now I can shoot as much as I want! Keeping all that in mind that I'm a little giddy about having it to play with, here's how I like it. Everything is great except for two things: The battery level indicator pretty much always says that it's full until about 10 minutes before it dies (very minor thing) and the auto white balance seems pretty lame - when you pop up the built in flash it still doesn't set the white balance the same as when you set the white balance on flash, which is still different (but a lot closer to) when you manually set it with a gray card/white card. Which brings me back to one of my original questions - white balance is totally electronic, right? So I would have total control over it without losing any detail or anything if I leave it set on sunlight all the time and then shoot in all different kinds of conditions and then adjust it in PS?
    You all are so dang helpful. Thank you so much.

Chip
  • 04-15-2004, 08:56 AM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher_platt
    OK. . .I'll bite. . .what's ACR? Like I said, I'm new to this whole digital thing. . . ;)

Chip
    P.S. Looks like I'll be able to come by photoshop CS a little sooner than expected - any recommendations on good books to start with? How's Uwe's? It looks pretty good -unfortunately I won't be able to take a digital imaging class until at least Jan, so any pointers to good books and/or web resources would be GREATLY appreciated. . .

ACR = Adobe Camera Raw, a plugin that ships with CS for opening many different RAW formats.

As far as books go, I always enjoyed the Photoshop Bible series, fun to read and VERY informative.