Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Question about wireless networks

Well, I got this issue taken care of - sort of.

I have an 802.11b wireless network, and Toshiba's customer service told me that the notebook is compatible with 802.11 A and G. CompUSA's website said it was compatible with B and G, but that's life... I thought that B and G were compatible with each other, kind of like how USB 1.1 and 2.0 are (I could connect a G device to a B network, just not get all the benefits of a G network). Is this not the case? Strangely enough, it was working fine for a few minutes the other day - web pages and all. It still sees and connects to the network but I can't get any web page to display (wireless router's home page, or any site).

Toshiba told me I need an 802.11g router. Does this sound right? Why did it work for a few minutes (twice, actually)? I suppose if I do get a new router I should get a new adapter for the other computer that is (and been working fine) on this network.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Re: Question about wireless networks

Wireless G is built on the same technology that Wireless B is built on - they operate in the same band and are supposed to be compatible with each other. My Thinkpad has a Wireless G network card, but it operates fine on my ancient Wireless B router, and I've used Wireless B technology on Wireless G routers.

Since you said you could see webpages, and that Windows recognises that there is a network out there, chances are that something mucked up the network settings that allow you go on the Internet.

With tech support the way it is these days (farmed out to another country where you can barely understand the people), you might just want to find a computer person near you to take a look at it.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thanks - that's why I'm not so sure that a G router will take care of my problems. I have another PC on the network and it's always been fine. I may try the G router anyway but if that doesn't do it then I'll find an expert.

It looks like a configuration problem, don't waste money by buying another router. Compare the network configuration of both machines for differences, and based on that, modify the configuration of the non-working machine.

Normally, you need a gateway set to reach the internet. Also check "internet options" --> "connections" --> "LAN settings" on internet explorer, to see if both machines match.

Thread Information