Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Dual gigabit ethernet setup

I have a 790i ultra SLI motherboard, so it has two ports but im wondering what else i need to set up the internet on gigabit ethernet

I have basic broadband at the moment. like 4megabit download spedd or something and a 802.11g router i believe

Re: Dual gigabit ethernet setup

802.11g is a wireless standard (@54mbit/s max) where as the gigabit ethernet on your mobo is wired (@1000mbit/s). If you're wireless router also has ethernet ports on the back, they are most likely 10/100 mbit/s ports.

For internet usage you really don't need to be able to take full advantage of gigabit ethernet, it will make no difference whatsoever until your internet connection goes higher than 100mbit/s, with a standard home connection that will not happen. That is major corporation/university speeds, if they are lucky.

Now in a LAN environment, say for example sharing large files across your own network, you will see the difference with gigabit ethernet. You will need a gigabit capable router (or server and hub if you want to get fancy) and Cat5e or Cat6 cable to have gigabit ethernet.

Are you sure that you have two ethernet ports? That is not something most mobos have, you could add another via a PCI or USB NIC, but there is really no need.
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

Thread Information