Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

color management software question

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times in this forum but i must ask again. What is everyone using for color management? I need to upgrade my setup now and don't know if I should upgrade what I have or go with a different companies software.
    I am currently using monaco EZcolor 2.1 and have not had really any luck with it. I don't have the monacooptix for calibrating my monitor and without it the software really just guides you through a adobe gamma like adjustment. I have created profiles for my printer, neg. scanner, and flatbed using the supplied IT8 targets, however, without the optix and a truly calibrated monitor, I don't have consistant results and end up wasting alot of paper and time through trial and error with test prints.
    So, I guess my question is twofold. First should I stick with the monaco system and just upgrade to the current version and get the optix or should I switch to another company like colorvision's optical/spyder? Second, am I being realistic in expecting such software to enable me to accurately match monitor to printer output through monitor calibration and the use of profiles for the printer and scanner created with the software?
    I'm not sure it matters but as far as what I'm running, I have a old/cheap PC that I'm too ashamed to say what it is, windows XP, with a upgraded graphics card to handle the monaco software and new 120 gig HD, acer neg. scanner, and epson 1280.
    Any feedback is appreciated b/c I'm at a loss as to what to do.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

I am needin' to ask the same, I need to choose a flatbed and a film scanner, and achieve color management *choke cough* ...
    The demo I attended re: Monaco's stuff was pretty good, but the product has not treated me wonderful, in my case nothing installed smoothly, nothing worked consistently, and it refuses to accept my scan so I can't actually create printing profiles - for a few hundred dollars all I get is a decently calibrated monitor. I will admit: it has been slow but more effective for my new LCD than it was on my old CRT, and, if you do not use the colorimiter, the targets and adjustments for visually claibrating are still easier and more effective than the similar Adobe Gamma method ... but I paid way too much to get this far and if I had it to do over I would do more surveys and try another product instead.
    So really, you got further with it (same version level) than I did and anyway, therefore it's my view the lack of a colorimiter is NOT "why" your results are not predictable enough and it's not really your PC either. And ~ I just saw prints that a cohort intends to sell, made at a real shop, and they will last longer but, THOSE don't look as good as our own Epson prints (and we go through heck making those nice), either! (of course that was re: affordability, too, a more expensive process would no doubt have produced better.)
    Photo technology has gone through this evolution all along too ... as far as I am concerned this mess will be brought within decent borders of useability after MUCH MORE development, presumably years after I am dead. My "real" advice is to get hold of dat Zen and keep struggling best you can figure out. Meanwhile I am sure we both hope more posts will show up here with any practical little assists!
    Last edited by Gregour; 09-06-2004 at 12:58 PM. Reason: correct some spelling

don't despair!

Quote Originally Posted by klphoto
    I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times in this forum but i must ask again. What is everyone using for color management? I need to upgrade my setup now and don't know if I should upgrade what I have or go with a different companies software.
    I am currently using monaco EZcolor 2.1 and have not had really any luck with it. I don't have the monacooptix for calibrating my monitor and without it the software really just guides you through a adobe gamma like adjustment. I have created profiles for my printer, neg. scanner, and flatbed using the supplied IT8 targets, however, without the optix and a truly calibrated monitor, I don't have consistant results and end up wasting alot of paper and time through trial and error with test prints.
    So, I guess my question is twofold. First should I stick with the monaco system and just upgrade to the current version and get the optix or should I switch to another company like colorvision's optical/spyder? Second, am I being realistic in expecting such software to enable me to accurately match monitor to printer output through monitor calibration and the use of profiles for the printer and scanner created with the software?
    I'm not sure it matters but as far as what I'm running, I have a old/cheap PC that I'm too ashamed to say what it is, windows XP, with a upgraded graphics card to handle the monaco software and new 120 gig HD, acer neg. scanner, and epson 1280.
    Any feedback is appreciated b/c I'm at a loss as to what to do.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin,

don't despair, you are quite a lot of the way there already. Don't switch from the Monaco system, it will work fine for what you want, but trying to make a profile for your printer using EZ-color is quite a tall order, I tried it after I bought a bundle (Optix-xr plus EZ-color) and it was way off, though with practice and experience I could improve it. The thing is, what you are trying to do is rather an advanced procedure. Keep it simple at first, and your confidence will grow as you get good results more consistently.
    So IMHO, the 2 things you need to do are:
    1)Get hold of the monaco optix xr, follow instructions use it to get your monitor correct and consistent

2)go the color management route with your printer which is much discussed and recommended in all the forums..viz. choosing No Color Management in the epson dialog box, and entering the epson profile for the epson paper you are using. see the forums for details and repost if you run across a problem. I would say my color management is up at 90% of its potential, I'll learn how to refine the remaining 10% as I go along, but I am very satisfied and relieved by what comes out of my 2200 printer.

By the way, you're likely to run aground on the notorious aaagh! magenta!! sandbanks at some stage, don't panic, it's likely to be the color profiling of your image files, if they are given a profile twice, they react by outputting with a magenta cast when you try to print using this NoColorManagement option (ask someone else exactly why..)

Good luck!

Thread Information