Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

CD burner & DVD player software suggestion?

I have Dell's Sonic Cineplayer (DVD program) and Roxio CD creator on my PC (Win XP). Cineplayer locks up my PC sometimes, and when creating a CD of pics for clients, Roxio causes an error. Basically, IMO they're crap.

Can anyone suggest a program, or programs, for both purposes?

For DVD reviews, PowerDVD comes up as one of the tops; for CD burners, Nero comes up as one of the tops but unfortunately, so does Roxio.

Any help appreciated being that I just got the complete DVD series of Farscape and can't wait to watch it. And I don’t mind paying for the programs, and actually prefer it to freeware.

Jim

Re: CD burner & DVD player software suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by kernix
    I have Dell's Sonic Cineplayer (DVD program) and Roxio CD creator on my PC (Win XP). Cineplayer locks up my PC sometimes, and when creating a CD of pics for clients, Roxio causes an error. Basically, IMO they're crap.

Can anyone suggest a program, or programs, for both purposes?

For DVD reviews, PowerDVD comes up as one of the tops; for CD burners, Nero comes up as one of the tops but unfortunately, so does Roxio.

Any help appreciated being that I just got the complete DVD series of Farscape and can't wait to watch it. And I don’t mind paying for the programs, and actually prefer it to freeware.

Jim
    Roxio basic version came bundled with my desktop and I've upgraded to the full 2009 Creator. Haven't had any problem with either, except for media errors. Did you check out your Systems and Applications logs to see what the error was when burning your CD?

PowerDVD basic came bundled with my portable and I upgraded to the Ultimate version a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had much time to play with it (no holidays or long trips). I've noticed that when I speed up or slow down a DIVX it still gives you the sound at the correct pitch. That's the first time I've had any sort of system that does that.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Upgrade to Win7 and use the built in tools. Extra software is not required to watch dvd's, burn files or an .iso to disc. If you want to create .iso's from disc then you'll need extra sw. PowerDVD is probably the best of the apps for DVD viewing, but like I said the built in functionality of Win7 (or Vista) blow it out of the water. I would take Nero over Roxio any day for burning SW. For the cost of those two apps you can upgrade to Win7 and never have to deal with that garbage ever again.

Yes, I am an Win7 fanboy, and I would love nothing more than to see XP get retired for good and have Vista go along with it.

XP is 8 years old now. It doesn't sound that old, but the Canon EOS-1D also came out around then. That thing packed a whopping 4 megapixels. I don't know if there's a single one of those still in use today.. Then again it did cost like 5500 bucks..

Hey,
    For CD burning, I use either ImgBurn or InfraRecorder. Both are free, and very good, burning pretty much whatever you want quickly. I used Nero for a long time, but it's quite expensive for simple burning tasks, and incredibly bloated and slow. Roxio is the same, but not as good. For single function type programs, the way to go is almost always free and/or open source.

Thanks.

Thread Information