Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    Liz

Virus software....need help...

This might be considered off topic, but my McAfee Virus Scan just expired. I went to pick up the latest version and the tech at CompUSA told me Norton was much better - that the 2006 version is very different and the best you can get.

I used Norton for a few years when I had aol dial-up, and it perpetually crashed my aol and computer. When I got DSL I went with McAfee because Verizon suggested it when they installed the DSL.

I also have Webroot Spysweeper.

Bottom line questions: Should I get:
    ***McAfee Virus Scan - or a different version that includes Spyware - then not renew Spysweeper? Or
    ***Norton - with or without Spysweeper
    ***Should I renew Webroot Spysweeper - or
    ***should I get something entirely different.

I really need some "Help for technical dummies"

Thanks!

Liz

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Virus software....need help...

Hey Liz,

Check out the link to this site. OK, it's not the prettiest site on the net, but there is lots of good info on it. The guy who owns this company is on Wisconin Public Radio once a month answering questions and helping people with their computer problems.

One thing that he always mentions is that it's not always the best idea to go with the big names like Norton, and McAfee. Sure they are big names in the anti virus business, but that also makes them BIG targets for the people writing viruses. There are lots of smaller companies out there that make really good anit-virus and spyware software that is recomends and I think quite a few of them are free. Perhaps using them in conjuction with what you already have would be a good idea too...

Just thought I would throw that out there.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz

Thanks - I'll check it out further when I have more time - just scanned through it for a few minutes - there's a lot there. I appreciate your help.

Liz

Nod32 is a very good anti virus software Liz,

I have used Nortons for many years and tried out McAfee as well, stuck with Nortons, until recently I found that viruses were getting through and Nortons wasn't delete them when I told it to. Someone suggested to me to try out Nod32 from http://www.eset.com/home/home.htm $39US, and I think this is a very good antivirus software and has caught everything that has tried to get through since I have had it installed now for about 6 months. Wouldn't go back to the others.

Liz

Thanks Peter.......I appreciate your input. My problem with anything new is that I usually have problems with it and I do better with something I'm familiar with - I don't have time these days for any challenges. AND I got McAfee free which helped with my decision.

Thanks

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    Nod32 is a very good anti virus software Liz,

I have used Nortons for many years and tried out McAfee as well, stuck with Nortons, until recently I found that viruses were getting through and Nortons wasn't delete them when I told it to. Someone suggested to me to try out Nod32 from http://www.eset.com/home/home.htm $39US, and I think this is a very good antivirus software and has caught everything that has tried to get through since I have had it installed now for about 6 months. Wouldn't go back to the others.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

How about free?

I used to use the "big" names but found I could do better.

There are two names I recommend, I use both.

Trend Micro is excellent. I currently have this on my laptop and don't even notice it is there. Updates are fast and automatic.

I run the free, yes free, version of AVG on my desktop (NOT the free 30 day demo of the full version!). Money is extremely tight for me right now so free is good! This is award winning software that comes in a stripped down free version. The free version is exactly the same as the for-money version. You lose the ability to do fancy scheduling, you have to click on the update button (although it does remind you), and the update web site is slower. But it is the same protection. It is also very hard to find! Go to this website:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

My Trend Micro expires this month and I'll be replacing it with free AVG. The full version is about $40 for two years.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Liz

Re: How about free?

Michael,

Thanks for the info - I'll remember this for next time - but I got the McAfee (see above post) FREE! I'm satisfied with this - since it's free I won't look further. ;)

I hope you're doing well - and like your job. Must be cold out there!

Maria

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    I used to use the "big" names but found I could do better.

There are two names I recommend, I use both.

Trend Micro is excellent. I currently have this on my laptop and don't even notice it is there. Updates are fast and automatic.

I run the free, yes free, version of AVG on my desktop (NOT the free 30 day demo of the full version!). Money is extremely tight for me right now so free is good! This is award winning software that comes in a stripped down free version. The free version is exactly the same as the for-money version. You lose the ability to do fancy scheduling, you have to click on the update button (although it does remind you), and the update web site is slower. But it is the same protection. It is also very hard to find! Go to this website:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

My Trend Micro expires this month and I'll be replacing it with free AVG. The full version is about $40 for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Michael,

Thanks for the info - I'll remember this for next time - but I got the McAfee (see above post) FREE! I'm satisfied with this - since it's free I won't look further. ;)

Maria
    I know you got something, but keep F-Prot in mind. It's effective (very), uses less system resources than others, and even a personal lic. is good for 5 computers. I've had it catch dropper files for worms that Norton and McAffee have not.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Michael,

Maria
    Teaching is a great job, even with lazy students. Too bad it's still just very part time.

I'm in Maryland now so our weather is about the same as yours. Ah, days past in Gunnison with the temperatures dipping down to -20F...
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Liz...I have been using Norton for many years. I hate it!!! I have tried a few others, including McAfee but have not been satisfied with them. My biggest complaint with Norton is that, IMHO, they hijack your computer and won't help you turn off all of their nagware if you don't upgrade their product. I have written and called them many times over the years and they have always responded the same way..."YOU CAN'T TURN THIS STUFF OFF". And most of the time they haven't been very friendly about it. I keep it on because it does offer some protection until I change to another AV program. I was forced the last time I purchased a program to buy Norton as I had 2 computers infected badly and had very few choices...but...only if I am forced to will I ever buy Norton again...and I have used them for close to 15 years!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    I know you got something, but keep F-Prot in mind. It's effective (very), uses less system resources than others, and even a personal lic. is good for 5 computers. I've had it catch dropper files for worms that Norton and McAffee have not.
    Thank you! I appreciate the input. I'll keep it in mind.......and be back so you can remind me and give me a link. ;)

Maria

I use the zonealarm with antivirus, i think it's very good. Give it a try: http://www.zonelabs.com (download a free evaluation version).

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel
    I use the zonealarm with antivirus, i think it's very good. Give it a try: http://www.zonelabs.com (download a free evaluation version).
    Thanks Nordinel.........I'll add this to my list. Looks good.

Liz

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Hi Liz. I have to go with Michael on AVG Free. I've been using it for over 3 years now, and it works wonderfully for me. I've never had to worry about updates because it usually does it, on its own, at some weird time of day when I'm not using the computer.

The best thing, though, is that it is completely free. Grisoft, the company that makes AVG, doesn't charge users for updates at all. There is no subscription service to pay for after your first 90 days/6 months/1 year.

I've recommended this anti-virus software to many of my friends.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Liz

Thank you! I really appreciate the information....it sounds great.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    Hi Liz. I have to go with Michael on AVG Free. I've been using it for over 3 years now, and it works wonderfully for me. I've never had to worry about updates because it usually does it, on its own, at some weird time of day when I'm not using the computer.

The best thing, though, is that it is completely free. Grisoft, the company that makes AVG, doesn't charge users for updates at all. There is no subscription service to pay for after your first 90 days/6 months/1 year.

I've recommended this anti-virus software to many of my friends.

Thread Information