Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

surreal B&W processing method

I stumbled across this B&W "conversion process" today and also make sure you check out his galleries. I liked how dramatic the photos are given their ordinary beginnings, at least some of them anyway. So I had a bit of free time today and tried his process on one of my pics. About the only thing I did differently was creating a bunch of adjustment layers with masks instead of dodging and burning everything, my camera has twice the MP his does so I have that many more pixels to dodge and burn, I figured some adjustment layers using curves and contrast would be faster. Anyways, it was just an experiement and I think I like some of the results so let me know what you think. This pic was pretty ominous and dramatic to begin with...maybe I'll try something more booring next for a bigger challenge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surreal B&W processing method-crw_6180_b-w_modified.jpg   surreal B&W processing method-crw_6180.jpg  
    Last edited by kafin8ed; 06-11-2004 at 12:10 AM.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

To me, one of the great challenges of photoshop...

...is actually learning various B&W conversion techniques. I think it's pretty obvious that B&W imaging is the Achilles heel of digital photography, at least when it comes to creating images in the manner and style of the tremendous monochrome film printing processes of the past.

Being an old high contrast B&W man from way back, I like your shot. And what we're finding out is that there are almost as many different ways to work in ps B&W now as color.

Thanks for sharing...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information