Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

transferring images to a storage device

Hi,

I would like to be able to transfer or backup images from my camera (either directly or using a card reader) to a portable hard drive or flash memory drive in the field without using a computer. Is it possible to go directly from the memory card to mass storage? Do I need any special hardware? Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Re: transferring images to a storage device

There are plenty of storage devices that take many of the card formats and directly store them to the portable device.

Some store on hard drive and some even burn to CD or DVD.
    They are independant devices and do not need a computer.

I have never used one so I can't comment on which one is best.
    Try a search for "portable media storage" and see what comes up.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

I just bought a "Media Buddy" from Digital Focci that has 30-GB of memory and takes several types of camera memory cards directly into the device. We're going on a 10-day vacation and I won't have a computer with me. While we're gone, I'll download full memory cards directly into the device; when we get home, we'll download the Media Buddy memory to the computer via USB cable.

I haven't actually used it yet, so I can't recommend it for sure, but we chose it after much research as to what's available. There are many choices from many manufacturers. Some versions have video screens, but they cost more. This one cost less than $200; top of the line with lots of features can cost $700.

I've stored photo images on my Ipod. You need an attachment between the Camera and the Ipod to make the transfer. I've seen the attachment where you buy Ipods.

Cheers,

Jim B.

Quote Originally Posted by pweb
    I just bought a "Media Buddy" from Digital Focci that has 30-GB of memory and takes several types of camera memory cards directly into the device. We're going on a 10-day vacation and I won't have a computer with me. While we're gone, I'll download full memory cards directly into the device; when we get home, we'll download the Media Buddy memory to the computer via USB cable.

I haven't actually used it yet, so I can't recommend it for sure, but we chose it after much research as to what's available. There are many choices from many manufacturers. Some versions have video screens, but they cost more. This one cost less than $200; top of the line with lots of features can cost $700.
    Can you tell me where I can get one?

My family and I are taking a big family vacation the end of July. I'd really like to not have to lug my laptop around. Not to mention it will probably entice me to hop online when I should be relaxing with my family. :lol:
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Okay... I bought a Wolverine about a year ago and LOVE it. It's amazing... it accepts 7 different types of memory cards directly. Mine was around $200 for 80 Gigs, and they have others for 60G, 100G, 120G. They even have a newer version that allows you to browse images on an LCD screen (for a higher price.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

(there's a rebate for $30)

I highly recommend the Wolverine. I have had zero problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ltilley
    Okay... I bought a Wolverine about a year ago and LOVE it. It's amazing... it accepts 7 different types of memory cards directly. Mine was around $200 for 80 Gigs, and they have others for 60G, 100G, 120G. They even have a newer version that allows you to browse images on an LCD screen (for a higher price.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

(there's a rebate for $30)

I highly recommend the Wolverine. I have had zero problems with it.
    I'm going to go check this out. Thank you. I'm ~~>this close<~~ to buying a 80 gig media buddy.

Thank you!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8