Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Your opinions please

Greetings from the new guy! I thought I'd see what some others think about some of my work, so I figured I'd start here. Constructive comments, criticism is always welcome! I'm new at this, so hopefully I can get this right.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 12-12-2004 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Unsticking as "Featured Photo" for 6 December 2004

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Welcome!

From the sounds of your screen name and your profile, I bet we both have a closet full of the same green outfits.

I like the composition and the flow from the red.
    But, I think the flesh fom the one had on the right side is distracing.
    I would suggest cropping it little tighter.

Welcome to PR.com! I look forward to seeing more from you!
    Make sure to check out all the forums here.
    Brian
    Hoo Ahh!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Your opinions please

Brian,

Thanks for the comment, I'll give it a tighter crop manana and send to the model.

Ken

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Army,

I love this. I'm away from the Critique a lot but this has to be one of the best portraits I've seen up here. Great pose, great model, great look, great lighting, and tack sharp. But I think what really makes it for me are the lines running diaginally through the picture! They are tremendous. Kudos to you if you did this on purpose. Her arms running diagonally across the frame just make this a much more dynamic picture. The interesting shapes of the fishnet adds a lot to it as well - add kind of a reptilian feel. The placement of her head in the upper part of the frame says a lot about the importance of the lines in this image. It's almost as if her beautiful face is the complement to the shapes, not the other way around. It has a strong studio look but the stone she's on make it seem outdoors or urban at the same time.

My criticism would be to raise the camera just a bit, ie just a touch more space above her and cropping a touch off the bottom of her - the visible bottom portion of her leg is a tad distracting. And I think your colors are a tad strong (on this monitor) but just by a hair - her complexion is getting a little garish? - on my screen -

Anyways, complements on a great shot! Now proove to me it wasn't a fluke and post some more

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I like the shot and think it needs not be cropped at all. The only thing i find somewhat distracting is that i wish I could see a bit of detail in the area below her neck, right now it seems to look like a head resting on a rock. Might not look like this in print but just my observation from my screen. A bit too much contrast. This is a very good shot and I agreee with Walterick about the diagonal lines formed by her arms leg and head. Great!
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Never done portraits and now I know why - This is an excellent shot and I disagree with cropping the hand any closer because it looks as if you'll crop too close to the knee.

Leaving more space over the head depends on what is there. I would be proud of this photo.

Not sure if I would change a thing as the colour on my monitor are spot on. When will they get a monitor that shows colours consistently?
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Don't know about a consistent monitor, my eyes see different colours and contrasts !
    Colours are warmer with the left eye, but flatter.
    Right eye sees more contrasty, and slightly bluer hues.

I really like this photo a lot, one could nit-pick of course.
    Like her left hand, where the ring and middle fingers are bent and the index and little fingers straight(ish).
    Or her right hand where I'd really like to have the knuckles in the frame, or no skin and just the red whateveritis.
    I like the way parts of her are outside the framem the shoulder and elbow particularly, not so sure about the head crop.
    I had to look for about 5 minutes before I noticed the hole in the fishnet above the right knee.

Yes, it was hard to move on and look at other photos, this is good !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

"it was hard to move on and look at other photos, "

Well said This is at least the third time I've clicked on it!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thank you for all of the positive comments!

Also, a special thanks to the moderators for chosing this image as a Feature!

Thumbs down Re: Your opinions please

yeegh. could we please have a new featured photo? while i have absolutely no complaints about the composition -- in fact, i think it's quite nice -- i find the subject matter thoroughly noxious. photos of young borderlines... at best, it's trite, at worst, it's totally cliche'd.

Thread Information