Yosemite Bridge

Printable View

• 06-06-2014, 01:50 PM
    GB1
    2 Attachment(s)
    Yosemite Bridge
    This bridge was completely underwater in '97 due to a flood (see the shot w/ the sign), meaning they probably rebuilt it. Anything here? To me it would look better a little less cluttered, but that's how it was. Also, do the pix look sharp to you?

G

Attachment 93009

Attachment 93010
  • 06-06-2014, 04:10 PM
    dl4449
    Re: Yosemite Bridge
    GB take this with a grain of salt coming from some one who does not know much.
    First of all I like the photo, maybe add just a touch of vibrance and sharpen it some also the Sun was not your friend :)
  • 06-06-2014, 10:41 PM
    starriderrick
    Personally,I think these are plenty sharp,the forest doesn't need to be so sharp (LOL) also the first image has an amazing Depth of Field, I really like that!

As the light goes...It's mornin' & I love the amount of detail present ... It's the "magic" light you will only find at Yosemite... Just my thoughts,

As I recall,A group of 11 people, and I rode motorcycles thru this park back in '94 . .. I'll never forget that as long as I live....Now that the roads have changed, many of the sights we encountered as we motored along in the park no longer exist for the public to see or explore.

Nice captures,Greg

Rick
  • 06-07-2014, 04:45 AM
    Lava Lamp
    The photo as some good stuff goin' on. It's a place that looks like it has some magic.

The harsh sun isn't helping. Maybe a polarizing filter if you have one?

Also, the bridge support(?) kinda overwhelms the picture. It's what my eye goes to immediately. If you could remove that, you would have a winner. (But the bridge would fall down...)
  • 06-08-2014, 06:29 PM
    GB1
    Thanks for responding.

I shot this w/ a new (to me) 16-35mm Nikon zoom lens. I am still experimenting w/ it and have found that the sharpness varies considerably at different f-stops: f 8 and f 11 seem good, but f 4 is a No-Go, and sharpness also starts disappearing at the other end of f 16 and above.

Troy - yeah, the sun is almost in the frame but that was sort of intentional. I wanted a little edginess to the image instead of the regular ol' sun to your back type shot (plus, I was there then and didn't have the time to come back later :) ).

I'll look into seeing if I can get away with sharpening it any more. It's an HDR, and I've found that there is always a very small amount of shake/movement between frames which decreases sharpness.

Rick - Thanks for the feedback. Glad you think it's sharp enough. I seem to be on a never ending search for the perfectly sharp lens :o Yes, seems Yosemite is a great cruising around w/ friends type of place... no one really seems to be in a rush, which is good. I had to get up very early to get to the valley at sunrise (which was 5:47 am) to get the right light (and images w/o people walking into the frame), but that's a photographer's lot in life: no sleep!

Lava - Excellent observation on the support, there's no denying that it dominates the image. Problem is, I think it's the best part of the bridge as it has character, so I want the rest of the bridge to change to that instead :) I don't believe I used the polarizer on this one ... I will definitely think on that in the future!

G
  • 06-08-2014, 07:00 PM
    armando_m
    Greg, awesome job on the hdr, looks natural to me

sharpness at this size looks quite good

any more shot of the wonderful stream ?
    Regards,