Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Waiting for the Colonel to Come Home

This old home dates back to the early 1800's and sits on a little hill about a block from my house. It seems to be sitting there just waiting on the master of the house to return from the Civil War. Very strong afternoon front light made the whole house seem much prouder and confident than it usually does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waiting for the Colonel to Come Home-come-front.jpg   Waiting for the Colonel to Come Home-waiting-south-rise-again.jpg  

the first one

speaks more to me than the second...the second looks like a standard look at a pretty house...the second one though is nicely set off by the contrast between the run down steps with the modern pole for railing and this grand "plantation" looking estate. Have you tried it in BW with quite a bit of contrast I think it would have even more impact...this house has wonderful lines and I like the vantage point you shot from....thanks for sharing it with us.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I think you are right

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    speaks more to me than the second...the second looks like a standard look at a pretty house...the second one though is nicely set off by the contrast between the run down steps with the modern pole for railing and this grand "plantation" looking estate. Have you tried it in BW with quite a bit of contrast I think it would have even more impact...this house has wonderful lines and I like the vantage point you shot from....thanks for sharing it with us.
    I think you are right about the difference between the two images and I had more or less intended them as that. I did try several different angles and used various parts of the steps and wall as forground I'm am still playing with them. I have not tried b&w yet mainly because I am fairly inept with PS and grayscale convertions that pop. Thanks for the comment and the suggestions.

4 easy steps

here ya go as a quick preview
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

OT,
    I personally like the second shot best.( whole house with no steps). I think your framing and comp is good, Ilike the bit of clouds just above the house and through the trees. The shadows of the branches on the house and the lawn,very nice. And what a beautiful house this is. My only nitpik is it seems a bit washed out. maybe a little adjustment or if your not too skilled with ps yet, try just a one step "enhance photo" action.
    The other shot with the steps. . . . .I like those steps and think that maybe a different angle, perhaps lower down like 1-2 ft from the ground looking up towrds top of house and sky.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information