Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Quetico Evening

Quetico Evening

This is my first posting of a photo for critique. Any comments would be appreciated although I'm not sure if my fragile ego can handle it. ;)
    J.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quetico Evening-quetico-evening-copy.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 12-19-2004 at 08:42 AM. Reason: UNSticking for "Featured Photo" 13 December 04

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Quetico Evening

Quote Originally Posted by Revolver
    This is my first posting of a photo for critique. Any comments would be appreciated although I'm not sure if my fragile ego can handle it. ;)
    J.

Welcome to the forum J. It's nice to see another Wisconsinite join us. Where about in the state are you from? Where was this picture taken?

I really like the coposition of this image and I love the reflection of the clouds in the water. I love the way the lines from the canoe and the river lead me all the way thru the image. About the only nit picky thing I want to comment on is the reflection of the trees on the left and right side of the image. They seem to be causing a void in the image as far as I'm concerned. It apears to be almost solid black in those areas of the image and I find it a little distracting. I do like the reflection of the rocks just above that part of the image and the tips of the trees towards the bottom of the "voids" tho. All in all, a great image to start out with and one that I would hang on the wall if it were mine. Keep em' coming!

Great shot.
    Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Dear J,

I would have to agree that this is a wonderful image. The clear lake, the subdued light, etc. About the only thing I would say that needs improvement, is the sharpness of the photo. I was half expecting everything to be very sharp. Perhaps its the effect of posting and resizing. Good photo!

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

drg

I like this photo, and then looked at your gallery. My favorite is Lulu Lake. Did you do Lulu Lake on film and if so Wow! That's hard to capture. Did you do much to the image with Photoshop or the like?

Quetico Evening 2 is more powerful in my opinion. I like the balance of sky to water better in that photo.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for sharing these photos!
    - C

J,

I love the composition but the foreground seems a little dark for my tatse and a little more definition at the bow of the boat and the rocks would add to the photo - the rest of the photo especially the colours (colors - noticed American english) is fine.

I don't think you could avoid the reflections of the trees and I didn't find it too much of a problem.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    I like this photo, and then looked at your gallery. My favorite is Lulu Lake. Did you do Lulu Lake on film and if so Wow! That's hard to capture. Did you do much to the image with Photoshop or the like?

Quetico Evening 2 is more powerful in my opinion. I like the balance of sky to water better in that photo.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for sharing these photos!
    - C
    Lulu Lake was shot using film, Nikon N70 hand-held. I did very little to the colors of the image using PS, the slides look pretty much as you see it. My favorite in my gallery is Mudro Lake, that one has been published in Canoe and Kayak Magazine and Paddler Magazine.

I love how the paddle sticks out slightly over the edge of the board and how the water reflects the clouds and tree line. The picture itself looks bery calming and quiet as though it was taken early in the morning and no one was up yet.
    Photos are memories that last a lifetime.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Great image!
    Excellent compostion!
    I like the line created from the canoe.
    Good colors and reflections.
    Welcome to PR.com!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I think this is a great image. Your composition adds interest to the shot and I like the water's reflection, the foreground, the whole scene is just beautiful. There's a sense of serenity. Fantastic job. I would print it and frame it.
    ~Nina~

I want to go camping!

I really like this photo, makes me want to go camping. The only thing that I would like to see is a tiny bit more of the fore ground, (rocks and plants). I think it would create and add to the enviroment that you have already created. Beautiful colors.

This is my first post and would like to submit a photo can you please let me know how I would do that?

keep snapping!

I recently went on safari in Kenya. Here is an image I would like to share for critique. Thanks for your input.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information