X Post.. Calla Lily

Printable View

• 04-27-2005, 05:50 AM
    Old Timer
    2 Attachment(s)
    X Post.. Calla Lily
    I posted one of these over on viewfinder earlier this week. I would be very interested in your critical remarks. I love to photograph flowers but seem to have brain freeze with the process at times. Please take alook at these two and give me some comments. Thanks for the help.
  • 04-27-2005, 07:26 AM
    almo
    Re: X Post.. Calla Lily
    IMO these are just to close to be affective. There is just to much white going on and without being told just what it is I would be left kinda' confused about it. Hpwever as an abstract image this works pretty well. Interesting colors and textures.

Interestingly enough I both like and dislike these.
  • 04-27-2005, 07:28 AM
    Chunk
    These are both beautiful shots with high points for their simplicity and graceful lines. You did a great job of holding detail in all that white (a major problem for me) and I think your choices on dof are right. I'd spot/clone out the dark spots on the center part of the flower, print them real large and hang them on the wall. The first shot is as good as any flower shots I've seen - even Sebastion's yellow rose and your own sunflower from last year.
  • 04-27-2005, 08:08 AM
    jar_e
    Your first one is my favourite. It's bang on, it's kind of abstract, yet still perfectly composed and the colors are great! Awesome shooting,

Jared
  • 04-27-2005, 04:08 PM
    Seb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I posted one of these over on viewfinder earlier this week. I would be very interested in your critical remarks. I love to photograph flowers but seem to have brain freeze with the process at times. Please take alook at these two and give me some comments. Thanks for the help.

OT, these are gorgeous compositions. I find these kind of abstractions to be much more stimulating than straight forward flowers shots. I enjoy the textures, especially on the white petals.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that a little something is missing to make these totally stunning and I can't quite put my finger on it. My feeling is that slightly more saturated colors and a little more play of light and shadows would make these perfect.

That being said, I believe that these are both great. My point simply is that you could get a little more out of the concept.

regards

Seb
  • 04-27-2005, 04:21 PM
    Seb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer

OT,

Here is a quick edit which illustrate how I imagine these kind of shots. I hope that you don't mind me messing with your work. :)

Seb
  • 04-28-2005, 05:32 AM
    Old Timer
    Thanks guys for your thoughtful comments on these two images. I like depicting the parts of the whole as an image unto itself, weather you call that abstract in some cases or what ever. I also find it as Seb says to be more visually stimulating. And just as Chunk said holding that detail in so much white is a bear for me. I also agree that although I was pleased with my results there was just something missing. Seb your PS work helped but I think it was my primitive lighting setup that I need to address. At any rate I very much appreciate everyone's comments and input. Thanks!