Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Not Interested

Not Interested

Hi,
    Please tell me what you think.
    yoyo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not Interested-crw_3041-jpg.jpg  

Opinionated Newbie

Re: Not Interested

I really like the concept, however the execution falls a little short. The image is flat with a lot of similar shades of gray. Admittedly, this is the reason why the cat stands out. However, I think you can retain the same effect and impact if somehow you were able to boost up some contrast.

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo Szeto
    Hi,
    Please tell me what you think.
    yoyo
    Hello Yoyo,

I too enjoy the concept but I would see this shot with a relatively shallower dof (not to loose the background but to create a more distinctive separation betwen the cat and it's surrounding).

Hello Yoyo
    I like the surroundings to be clearly visible on this one. One problem I have though is that the cat looks almost artificial. Had he been simply walking accross the floor, I think the picture would have been more interesting.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

The background works for me and I really do like the black and white. In spite of that, the kitty does appear to be out of place and almost looks as if he/she was placed into the image. Other than that I personally find that this shot does have appeal.
    ~Nina~

I too like the concept here and although the tones are not very appealing, I think it is not too big a problem. For me, it is the position of the cat and how it is laying that is bothering me about this. I'm not sure why, but that is what I keep coming back to when I wonder why it does not come off as strong as it has the potential for. Still, it is good.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I think the cat looks unnaturally bright in comparison with its surroundings. You would think that in a room with the amount of light that is there, that the cat would be similarly dim. Yet the cat is very bright, with not even a shadow anywhere on it, not even underneath the cheek, where you'd expect one. In fact, it's the opposite -- where there should be a shadow, there's a bright white edge. I think that's why the cat looks so artificial.

I like the placement of everything and think it's a great composition — I'd just like to see the cat and the room sharing more similar lighting values. Was the sun coming in from behind you? The cat actually has hot spots like the chair legs do, yet the rest of the room is so flat. I'm trying to figure out why.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Hi Todd, Thanks a lot for pointing out the weakness of the pic. I agree the shot is flat.

Hi Seb, Thanks a lot for the comments. I am not sure that the shot can have a shallower DoF as I used a 15 mm lens in this shot.

Hi Tom, Yes, the cat also appears artificical to me in retrospect. Is the new posting better?

Hi Nina, Thanks for the kind words and telling me ehat you feel about the placement of the cat.

Hi Gary, Thanks a lot for sharing your viewpoint in the composition.

Hi Kelly, Thanks a lot for the detailed analysis.

I reprocessed the shot by blending two files from the same RAW file. One is normally exposed and another one is under-exposed. Is it better?

yoyo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not Interested-crw_3041-jpg-2.jpg  

I already liked this shot for its great composition but now the color has alot more pop and the cat appears more natural. Great improvement!
    ~Nina~

Thread Information