• 05-20-2005, 10:32 AM
    ltilley
    3 Attachment(s)
    Would love feedback on these wedding days photos
    My passion would be wedding photography.... and it's what I'd like to do ONE day. I've shot 2 friends weddings for them, and they loved the results... but of course I only agreed because the weddings were outdoors and I wasn't concerned with light. Sorry I'm babbling.

This was from my wedding day, and I took a few pictures of the bridesmaids getting ready.
  • 05-20-2005, 05:23 PM
    jar_e
    Re: Would love feedback on these wedding days photos
    Though far from typical wedding shots, I don't mind them, though I think they hold more value to the particular party then to me. There merely portraits to me and there's nothing to attract me to them. Techinically, everything is fine, but the subject matter just isn't there for me.

Jared
  • 05-20-2005, 05:37 PM
    OldSchool
    One thing to work on would be lighting. For example in the first shot, your subject's hair blends in with the background -- while her skin is a little too pale. It looks like these were shot with available light (nothing wrong with that -- if the exposure works).

The last shot looks like you use the on-camera flash. These are Ok for snap-shots, but not sufficient if you want to get serious. For example, there is no rim-lighting on the hair and the lower hand is in partial shadow.

If you don't have one, I'd look into a solid flash-gun that provides various modes (balance with ambient light vs. light up the subject). I'd also look for a good diffusion attachment and card for bouncing. The thing one wants to avoid with the flash are harsh shadows and blown highlights.

I'm no expert,
    Tim

p.s. I enjoyed your Yukatan photos in VF. Thanks...
  • 05-20-2005, 07:08 PM
    OldSchool
    p.s.........
    Addendum...

Hey, I was in a hurry to leave work when I typed that up. What I didn't say is that I think your pictures are very nice, and that I'm sure they are appreciated.

Portraiture is just something that one can work on all their life -- especially indoors where lighting is just tricky (and can get expensive).

Have a great weekend,
    Tim
  • 05-20-2005, 07:33 PM
    tilleylisa
    Thanks so much for the feedback.. its exactly what I'm looking for. And it also reinforces what I aleady know... I need a real flash. I don't know why that scares me but it does. Flash is a whole other world to me! I hate it when I use it, and when I don't I get harsh shadows... I get I just need to get my feet wet!!!
  • 05-21-2005, 09:47 PM
    Lava Lamp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ltilley
    My passion would be wedding photography.... and it's what I'd like to do ONE day. I've shot 2 friends weddings for them, and they loved the results... but of course I only agreed because the weddings were outdoors and I wasn't concerned with light. Sorry I'm babbling.

This was from my wedding day, and I took a few pictures of the bridesmaids getting ready.

The important point of wedding pictures is to record memories, so I tend to think technical critiques can be secondary. That said, #1 and #2 seem a little soft with the highlights too hot. The flashis a little too much on #3.