Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

yellowstone wildlife

Just wanted to share a few images I shot in yellowstone.

Comments/feedback welcome

shane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yellowstone wildlife-big-horn-hello.jpg   yellowstone wildlife-eagle-close-up.jpg   yellowstone wildlife-bighorn-his-girl.jpg  

Re: yellowstone wildlife

Well the eagle really stands out over the other two images but they also succeed in drawing me in, the eagle is extremely sharp, what did you use to capture this image? How far away from the subject were you?

Thanks!
    Herriot

great shots, i especially like that first one where he blends in and is camouflaged amongst the tree trunks, and those eyes just watching you, there's lots to look at and lots to discover in that shot.

Nice work

chris
    "Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement"

Nikon Samurai #16

Very nice. I especially like the first shot. You might consider cropping of the left side to about where the edge of the tree meets the top of the frame to move the subject off center a bit and lose some non - needed (IMHO) tree trunk.
    ----------------------------

Hi,
    I like the first and the third shots a lot. The subject of the first photo blends in well with the rest as mentioned in the previous posts. The third one gives a very strong comical feeling.
    yoyo

Thanks for the input. I used a 200-400 VR on a nikon D2X to capture these images. The eagle was 15 ft. away sitting in a tree.

thanks shane

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

I don't typically like wildlife shots, but all three work for me and succeed in getting my attention.
    The first image is great because of the camo effect and those eyes staring back at you. I have to agree with Chunk's suggestion and to crop the image to make it a stronger composition with the subject off center.
    The eagle - wow! That is some zoom lens. I love how close this photo is and the crop really works well IMHO. I love the detail on the beak and the flare in the eye is great, not a distraction at all.

Great job on all three.
    Cheers.
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Ditto pretty much what PT said. That's a very impressive lens. It's also impressive that you were able to spot and get into position to make all those shots in the wild (harder than in the zoo!).

Very nice,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Very impressive shots - and a great lens, I'm jealous! I'd agree with the crop suggestion on that first one, but all in all very nice work.

matt

drg

The first Big Horn photo I wouldn't change much at all. The Tree forces the eye right to the sheep's expression. Cropping too much (if any) of the tree could change the leading lines.The two out of focus section on the sides of the photograph combine to provide an internal frame.
    This kind of a balancing act provides leading lines and allows the bullseye(ing) of the Sheep to work. The photo might lose some of its effectiveness if cropped to much.

An alternative (if you must) would be to crop very tightly right around the face of the sheep and even cut part of the horns in the process. I don't think I'd do it.

If the out of focus part of the tree is too troubling you could burn it (darken) a bit. But make sure the lower left and upper right match fairly well in intensity or the photo will look unbalanced or lopsided.

I like the other two as well, but the first in my choice! Nice job on what was undoubtedly not the easiest terrain or optimum conditions. More, please!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thank you all so much for your input. I was so stoked to be able to have these three situations present themselves to me. Nice equipement does make a difference as well.

shane

Thread Information