Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Winter Rose

Talking Winter Rose

For some reason I couldn't upload this the conventional way....hmmmm. Please feel free to give some feedback! I took this in Aspen Colorado, mid afternoon....VERY sunny day. Then I did some basic editing with Photoshop.

Re: Winter Rose

that's not what i expected by the title, i thought it would be some lame B/W pictuer of a PS red rose and snow on the ground. this is much better

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, if I had it my way, I wouldn't name any of my pictures...I'm open to name change suggestions too. lol

I received feedback from another source that I want to throw out there: that person thought the highlighted edges looked like background showing through and the flower isn't sharp enough. I had originally softened the flower because I thought on the stark black background it was just too harsh. Does it look blurry?

I welcome any feedback....I really want to improve.
    Thanks!

soft or sharp it comes down to a matter of opinion.. it does seem to be in the wrong place in the frame thow.. stuck right down in the bottom left corner just doesnt look rigt to me.. it also looks very lonely just the head with all that black space around it..

trog

My only suggestion would be similar to what has already been said, the composition is off, with too much space at the top. The flower itself is very nice.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Thanks! I can see that....there's way too much space on top. I tend to do alot of things either off center or on a slant....in this case there was a watermark, which isn't in this one...it definitely leaves a gap though without it. Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to crop it and see what happens.

I agree with the other comments, but would like to throw something else out there as well. Maybe you could darken the flower a bit so that you can see the pieces of snow on it better. When I first glanced at it, I didn't even realize there was snow there. Did you fill in the background with black? If you did, can we see what it looked like before that?

I think what the image needs is a white background maybe? And maybe in black and white with a tighter crop on the flower? If the contrast is right it would appear to just emerge from the background...

I really didn't want to go b&w with this because I really just love the cream color and didn't want to lose that...plus I play with b&w alot so I wanted to go another direction....I'm really interested in the white background idea...never thought of it, but it might be interesting. The original pic is:

Also, can I just tell you, you're all so much kinder than the people on another forum. lol Thank you!!!

"Also, can I just tell you, you're all so much kinder than the people on another forum. lol Thank you!!!"

that depends who u are.. he he..

have a go at the white backgound and post the result..

trog

Did it..hated it. lol. It looked like a magazine cut out on white printer paper. No exaggeration.
    The black background is what I saw when I did it, so I'd really like to stick with that. What specific ways can I make that perspective more smooth. Not sure that's the word. But I think you know what I mean. Clearly the edges are a problem, so I need to go into PSE and remove that highlight. What else?

Thread Information