Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Wildlife Snapshots

I saw this young deer and its mother walking through my backyard last week, and the butterfly and dragonfly I shot while walking on a nature preserve... nothing spectacular but I wanted to get back in the habit of posting something each week. All were taken in midday sun except the dear which was a slightly overcast morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wildlife Snapshots-pj-youngdeer.jpg   Wildlife Snapshots-pj-monarch.jpg   Wildlife Snapshots-pj-dragonfly.jpg  
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    I saw this young deer and its mother walking through my backyard last week, and the butterfly and dragonfly I shot while walking on a nature preserve... nothing spectacular but I wanted to get back in the habit of posting something each week. All were taken in midday sun except the dear which was a slightly overcast morning.
    These are all well composed (very well for the dragonfly) and pleasant to look at despite the lighting.

I like the dragonfly very much although it's head isn't sharp like it should be (which is strange since it's body and the flower are perfectly sharp...).
    The butterfly is also very appealing due to the dynamic composition.
    I feel that the deer is the lesser shot here as it seems lost in the frame where there is no other point of interest. Perhaps a tigher crop would make it more effective.

regards

Seb

Thanks for the comments Seb.

I couldn't quite figure the dragonfly either. The plant was waving in the wind a bit when I shot it at a high speed, so I had to do a little USM. But it pulled more detail out of the one wing than anywhere else. Most likely I had the eyes all lined up and in focus, and the slight movement of the plant put the focus on the wing at the moment the shutter opened. I was really close (less than a foot) at about 70mm....

I have a few others of the butterfly in various orientations relative to that funky looking plant to the right. One with the butterfly facing down, etc. Not sure which I liked the best but I think this was the one that felt like the most eye-pleasing orienation.

The deer I agree is in a boring spot. I maybe I should clone some cool stuff into the background.

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

HeyPuck,
    Great to see some new shots from you! I enjoyed these. The only comment I have would maybe to play around with some crops on the butterfly.
    I really like the dragonfly out of the three the most.

-VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Hey PuckJunkey(digital man),
    Happy to see your threads again. I feel the deer shot is my favorite. I like the position of the deer with head turned towrds camera. I also feel the atmosphere in the scene, which is always a plus for me. The overcast morning feel is there, and I feel like I am there too.
    The dragonfly shot, as others pointed out needs to be sharper. But I also think the flower in the bg is too close under the dragonfly. I think a shift in angle or point of view to get the bg flower seperated a bit from the main scene.
    The butterfly shot I like, just needed to be a bit sharper to be great.
    I have discovered as well how difficult it is getting shots of anything even close to being macro while there is any wind at all.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks "ville" and Gary for taking the time to post your observations. I will definitely take your comments about cropping style and composition into account, and hopefully there won't be any sharpness issues next time around either. The trick of course is to get enough DOF that - for example - the entire butterfly or dragonfly is in focus (and maybe a little bit extra so if the plant moves, it's still in focus. If the SS drops a bit low, maybe I'll try and shield the plant with my body next time around. Might help....
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

learning member
    Hello PuckJunkey

I am glad to see your back !
    I also like the photo of the deer the most .It must be great to live in a place where they could walk through your backyard !
    The one of the dragonfly is also a nice one , it is just if the wings tend to disappear into the background color .

Hope to see more of your photo's !

Greetings
    james

Thanks for your ideas, James.

And yes, there are quite a few deer around here, though it's certainly not because I live in a secluded area. Plenty of urban sprawl afoot, although there are several large nature preserves within a few miles of my home so there are deer and fox and even a few coyotes now and then. Might even be a few cougars nearby according to some conservationists. Photo op!

;)
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information