Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Icy Resevoir

Icy Resevoir

Cheyenne Canyon Resevoir. Comments and critique welcome as always.

Dzerzhinski
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Icy Resevoir-cheyenne-canyon-resevoir.jpg   Icy Resevoir-cheyenne-canyon-resevoir-2.jpg  
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Re: Icy Resevoir

the top pic is stronger out of the two simply because I can see the rocks and get a better feel and visual of the texturs and shapes and detail. both images suffer from being too dull and gray flat. I'm not sure you could bring anything out in your editing program, as it just seems this was a overcast day. These elements you have captured would really be more appealing within better lghting to bring out shadows and tones in the rocks,, glistening areas of the ice and highlight the ripples inthe water. And i would think to rid of the piece of land in the top right corner of the frame
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I have to agree with Gary's assessment of the lighting problem. One other thing you can try in situations like this is to try and get the major elements (band of ice, band of water, band of rock) to angle through the frame rather than being close to horizontal. This will add interest and because of the perspective you'd get, depth. I like the silouhetted plants near the shoreline and think they could be made more prominent in the frame as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    the top pic is stronger out of the two simply because I can see the rocks and get a better feel and visual of the texturs and shapes and detail. both images suffer from being too dull and gray flat. I'm not sure you could bring anything out in your editing program, as it just seems this was a overcast day. These elements you have captured would really be more appealing within better lghting to bring out shadows and tones in the rocks,, glistening areas of the ice and highlight the ripples inthe water. And i would think to rid of the piece of land in the top right corner of the frame
    Dear Gary,

Thanks for the assement. I have been quite disapointed with the B&W mode on the digital I am using. Not so rich, more just middiling gray all the way. As you say, not enough contrast. As to the lighting, it was late in the day, the sun had gone down mostly and I did not get to the resevoir until then. Probably worth a reshoot. Here is a modified version, but I doubt it was worth fiddiling with. I think I managed to make it look more like an infrared than anything, but it looks surreal now. Oh well!!

Dzerzhinski
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Icy Resevoir-cheyenne-canyon-resevoir.jpg  
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Most BW modes on cameras do not seem to be worth using. Shoot in color and do the conversion in software. Splitting an image to RGB can give good images as well as the channel mixing method.

Dz,
    I think your best bet with this is to go do a reshoot, no offense.
    I tried playing with it and the contrast just isn't there. The suggestions about angling are the best compositionally. If you coud get the three bands(rocks, water, ice) in an angled shot in better light you'd have something.
    Keep shootin!
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Thread Information