Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: My Daughter

Jack of All Trades - Master of None

My Daughter

I am a rookie so be nice

THis was actually taken the last time I was home from Iraq. We went to DisneyWorld and this was one of the better photos. It is just shot with a point and shoot SOny Cyber shot. I just recently purchased a Canon 20D and can't wait to start using it.

Anyway, the first pic is the original which I really didn't like, so I did some softening in PS and also added a little color to the trees in the BG and that is the 2nd picture.

I really love the photos on this site, there are some GREAT photographers in here and hopefully one day I won't be to embarrassed to put some of my work up here.

Here they are:

Re: My Daughter

First, my hat is off to you, sir, for your service. From a vet to one still serving.

Your daughter is just adorable. You should not be embarrassed to put any of your stuff on here. And you obviously do pretty well with PS. Actually, I would have liked to see one where you did just your daughter in color and everything else b/w.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Thanks!

I have one of those as well. I will post it in a few. All of my photos as of now are just basic point and shoot stuff. Once my "real" camera arrives in a few days, I will post some photos from Iraq and then I can get some real critiques. I don't mind criticism as long as it is constructive.....that's the best way to learn. Thankfully there are people here who know what they are doing are willing to share their expertise. Thanks again

here is the BW BG with my daughter in color. Also, another one my wife sent me that I fixed up a bit. As you can see, I like the soft dreamy tones LOL. PS, that shadow on the wall from the flash she used bugs me! LOL

Aw...she really is a cutie! I really like the one with her in color a lot. And definitely post more!

Emily

Yep, that's one of the things you have to watch out for with flash. That could be a pretty good pic to practice cloning on. I think you will find we have a lot of good people that are on here. Stay safe over there.

The one with her in color is really nice.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Thanks everyone. I will definately be posting more once my camera arrives. My office is right next to the heliport and Apache helicopters fly over constantly, so I will get some of those. There isn't much scenery in the Green Zone, but I am sure I can find some interesting things to shoot.

Cloning: Yeah, I used that to remove the time stamp and my wife's hand that was on the post behind my daughter. I guess I could clone that annoying shadow out. But I am too tired right now. It is dinner time over here!

Hi KillRoy, little cutie you have there. Ilike what you've done with pic #2. I'm a rookie also and still getting to grips with my camera and PS. Nice shot

Simon

Nice pic. It's hard to go wrong with a cute girl. Most of us around here started with a point and shoot like you have and many of us started with photos of our kids. You have a good base photo. To look toward improving it in the future, I'd suggest getting to eye level, losing the date function, and using a larger aperture to blur the background a bit more.

Nice, tattoo, by the way.

Stay safe.

Yeah, she loves her Beauty and the Beast temporary tattoo. She saw my tattoos and decided she wanted to be like Daddy. So whenever I am home she has to have temp. tattoos on. LOL

Thanks for the advice. If you wanna help me out, go to the "Help" forum and respond to my post in there.

WOW! She is a little doll! These are great shots! Your cropping and PS work are very well done and the lighting is great!
    Marty in Central Illinois - The Land of Corn and Flatness!

Quote Originally Posted by KillRoy
    I am a rookie so be nice

THis was actually taken the last time I was home from Iraq. We went to DisneyWorld and this was one of the better photos. It is just shot with a point and shoot SOny Cyber shot. I just recently purchased a Canon 20D and can't wait to start using it.

Anyway, the first pic is the original which I really didn't like, so I did some softening in PS and also added a little color to the trees in the BG and that is the 2nd picture.

I really love the photos on this site, there are some GREAT photographers in here and hopefully one day I won't be to embarrassed to put some of my work up here.

Here they are:

I love the second, but would tone down the green, just a bit.
    Sweet kid

Thank you for your service in Iraq. I have much respect for you and our armed forces doing what needs to be done.
    I think your second post of your daughter with the soft yellow shirt is very good, and as Villena stated, I would just tone down the green in the background.Very good framing and placement of her in the picture.
    Be safe, and we look forward to seeing more of your images.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information