Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

What to think? PLZ VIEW & CRITIQUE!

hey all. I'm back again after a loong break. I got these new photos I dont know what to think about this one. For me its defniitlty something different composition wise because there are 2 subjects so to say and are definitly in a fight to see what one will distract the viewer the most. What do you all think. since most of you are alot more experienced than i.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What to think? PLZ VIEW & CRITIQUE!-p9227467-small-2-.jpg  

Re: What to think? PLZ VIEW & CRITIQUE!

I don't get this picture at all. But nice composition.
    Nikon D50
    Nikkor 28mm-80mm f/3.3-5.6
    Quantaray 70mm-300mm f/4.0-5.6
    Quantaray 58mm Circular Polarizer, Diffuser, UV Haze Filters

i think with the 2 equally sized, lit, subjects it almost looks fake. but i think i am drawn to the frog more, just because it is more out of place in the scene.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

jbf

Smile Re: What to think? PLZ VIEW & CRITIQUE!

This is my first post in this forum. I hate to begin by being confrontational, but I disagree with what Tom said. I do get the image (at least I think I do), but I would change the composition a little. You've got the toad-like creature holding a small flower and looking at the very large, beautiful flower. It has the potential to evoke a number of emotions- humor, sympathy, etc. You have two main subjects, but there's a connection between the two so I think it does work.

If you have a chance to re-shoot, I would try moving slightly lower so you're not looking down on the scene. Moving a little to the right so you are just to the side and slightly behind the toad would give the viewer more of a feeling of being involved in the scene (although you still want to be able to see what the toad is holding). It would also eliminate the space in the upper right corner. Experiment with different depths of field - toad in focus and flower slightly out of focus and vice versa. The light could have a significant impact as well, for example, taking the shot when the sun is behind the flower.

Anyway, I think you have a very good eye to be able to see this shot. Hopefully this was helpful,
    jbf

If I can I'll add another subject, a really fake one

Sorry but I'm in the 'fake" camp on this one.

I look to the upper left edges and the sky seems to poke through the leafs there, but looking at the right side, the skies (on the left) or the ground (on the right) shouldn't have been there. One of the two is severly out of place. Maybe both?

Again looking at the bottom left. There seems to be some cobble stone turned 90 degrees counter clockwise.

It's very easy to figure out it isn't real IMO.

so yeah, totally fake

As for observations on what it means, the frog seems to want to give the flower a flower.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

This picture isn't doing anything for me at all.
    I don't like the fact there are two subjects, my eyes are struggling and moving back and forth between the subjects.
    I can't make up my mind what you want me to look at.

all other critiques aside i think i'll post what is standing out most to me, and that is that both subjects were cut off - i would not only keep the whole of both subjects in the frame but also give them room to breathe (not putting them so close to the outer edges).

hah! i can guarantee you all the picture's not fake. it was shot with an 8mm fisheye. thats why you see distortion with the cobblestong being 90 degrees over and the sky and such. i do find the picture to be confusing and thats what i was sort of expecting. its kinda of funny how people thought the picture was fake though. that makes me laugh.

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by picturetaker1239
    hey all. I'm back again after a loong break. I got these new photos I dont know what to think about this one. For me its defniitlty something different composition wise because there are 2 subjects so to say and are definitly in a fight to see what one will distract the viewer the most. What do you all think. since most of you are alot more experienced than i.
    I don't know. I kinda like it minus the obvious distortion on the left site and the inclusion of a distracting element (I am not too sure what it is) in the lower left corner. I like the interaction betwen both subjects. To me, this shot would work better if it had a shallower deep of field but I assume that it is technically impossible with a fisheye.

regards

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by picturetaker1239
    hah! i can guarantee you all the picture's not fake. it was shot with an 8mm fisheye. thats why you see distortion with the cobblestong being 90 degrees over and the sky and such. i do find the picture to be confusing and thats what i was sort of expecting. its kinda of funny how people thought the picture was fake though. that makes me laugh.
    Now that you've said that, ok, maybe not fake a bit unrealistic.

btw, thanks for clarifying that. I've neither shot with fisheyes, nor am I interested in them personally.

I always thought they bloat things up a bit and go really wide. Didn't expect it to be this much & so lop sided.

How come the right side isn't affected? I think that was my (brain's) main issue with this image.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

the right side is affected, its jsut grasss so it doesn't look as unnatural.

and i didn't say it was fake, just that it looked fake, which i still stand by.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Thread Information