Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Little Red Station

Continuing on my rail road theme, here is the station at the same crossing as the rail shot from yesterday. This image has strong evening front light that was very golden in hue. Cropped to a hard vertical because of modern style building to the left. Did I leave too much sky? Is the station too centered in the frame? Would like your ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little Red Station-little-red-station-3.jpg  

I like this scene very much. I like trains and had a real great train set as a kid that I put togteher myself and this reminds me of the kind of scene I might have tried to set up . While technically there might be a few things " wrong" with the shot ( right side seems a bit blurry, some would say to clone out the telephone lines, clone out the traces of garbage in the scene , colors could be a bit bolder), I feel it's pretty good as it is. I like the angle you caught the scene from. Tracks moving out into horizon daigonally from foreground, train appears to be leaving the scene,old red shack or house has an old rustic quality, and the clouds in the sky look as if painted in with a brush. Beautiful. Not too much sky. Position of building is good. I'm not sure if the little piece of track in the far left of scene bothers me or not. I would like to see another version of this shot with the telephone lines, piece of track on the left, and scattered garbage clone out to compare. But I like this shot alot overall.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I like the subject matter and usually like the buttery evening light but think that you might be able to get a better shot at another time of the day. The strong frontal lighting flattens the building. If the nearest part of the station is a partial hexagon (the roof seems to hint of it here) I think it would be the most interesting feature and it would be better modelled by a higher sun throwing shadows across the facade.

I think that this is a really great image. The tonal range is wonderful. I like the warm browns and oranges in the ground and in the building, how the sun can add so much presence to a picture. And I like the shy very much as well. Like it was said, not too much of it is in the frame, but just the right amount. The only thing is that I feel like the frame is weighted too much on the left. The frame is completely full on the left [a larg portion of the tain tracks, the building, the antenna on top of it]/ But overall, I really like the image!

Great Shot

I think this is a great image. I really like the composition and the colors are fantastic, but I do find the telephone/power lines distracting. Additionally it might be interesting to see the same shot with a nice blue cloudless sky - out of your control, but I think it may simplify the image a bit and draw the viewers attention more to the main subject, the train and station.

Corey

Thread Information