Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Question Water Curiosity - photos we like but don't know why !

Going through some photos taken last weekend with my Minolta X20 and deleting a fair few. Came to this one and was about to hit the oblivion key - but decided I liked it and should keep it ! But can't think why......

Colour reproduction is fine - there were lots of greenery (even the water was murky green)...the toddler in the distance fascinated by a water fountain or her own reflection in the pool. The hedging is groomed and the trees display a spring freshness...... but apart from that just a snap...is this worth keeping or binning ? What do you think ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Curiosity - photos we like but don't know why !-girlatbus.jpg  

uumm i would say keep it, if u like it and there is something that prevents you from doing it keep it, its a cool picture it has alot of character, i guess like the distance the picture goes back makes you want to look at it
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Hi,
    The scene is interesting and has a lot of potential. I would suggest to move the camera to the left to get a symmetric composition.
    yoyo

thanks folks. I'll keep it. Unfortunately I can't move the cam to the left because there is more H2O running down to a lake ! the channel was too wide for me to do the splits and take a photo at the same time....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L
    Going through some photos taken last weekend with my Minolta X20 and deleting a fair few. Came to this one and was about to hit the oblivion key - but decided I liked it and should keep it ! But can't think why......

Colour reproduction is fine - there were lots of greenery (even the water was murky green)...the toddler in the distance fascinated by a water fountain or her own reflection in the pool. The hedging is groomed and the trees display a spring freshness...... but apart from that just a snap...is this worth keeping or binning ? What do you think ?
    I thought this picture doesnt seem to have any definite subject which is why it leaves you thinking that there is something missing...

Just my 2 cents
    Kunal

It may just be your perspective in relation to the layout of the garden, but all the strong horizontal lines have a definite slant that isn't extreme enough to look purposeful to these untrained eyes. without the ability to frame it up nice and center, I'd maybe suggest stepping a little further off center to exagerate the angles and possibly losing the reflection on the surface of the water.

Or if you could run up to fountain without terrifying the little girl (or her parents) I think that would make an excellent subject for a shot as well!

I agree about the toddler looking at the fountain - good subject but one has to be careful as you rightly point out. (I was aware of this at the time). However, a young family member could be a great standin for a reshoot of the scene next time.

I appreciate people spending time and commenting - and the responses are interesting and useful.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar
    I like that off-centre view, more than if it had been dead centre (boring!) and like Greg I'd try it a little more extreme if another opportunity arises.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I agree. Prefer off centre as well ! Thanks.

PS Buscot - in your county PAul ! Good old Oxfordshire !

Just like to agree that dead center shots are not my thing either! This one is just so close I'd prefer to see all or nothing. If this spot is nearby, I definitely encourage further trips as it looks to have many great photo ops.

I would say this shot has a relaxing mood to it. The place itself is obviously a tranquile one where visitors can go to do their thinking or meditation or what have you... and I think you've captured that pretty well. I will say the shot could use some perspective cropping as there is a noticeable tilt to the frame from left to right. Maybe next time, go to the end of the path seen here and shoot back towards the source of the water... that might allow you to be more centered.

I think that there is something to being off-center for many shots, but this one might benefit from at least being a little closer to centered....
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information