Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

..and finally the MACROak Frog !

I have posted this to a gallery...so forgive me for duplication! I am particularly interested in views on the performance of the Minolta X20 auto macro. Took this of a not so bashful frog in a garden pond just to try out the macro....I must say the camera worked well - at least in my eyes ! This is my last thread for a while....don't want to hog the forum...many thanks to you all.

ps: this is another very quick pic...I was worried he would move !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ..and finally the MACROak Frog !-frog.jpg  

I'm not familiar with the X20 - is that a point and shoot? If you were shooting with an SLR I'd suggest investing in a polarizing filter which I believe will eliminate your water reflections. This is a great shot otherwise, I just feel like I'm missing a few underwater details!

I like that Dave, what a nice shot!
    Like he was posing, especially for you!

There some minor distracting elements, but just not worth mentioning, because the pleasant impact it had, is for me all what counts!

Well done, looking forward to see more photographs.

The Minolta X20 costs around £99 in England and can be got for $80 in the US....point and shoot 2 mp digital camera with slot for SD memory. 3x optical zoom and auto macro plus video and audio etc.....you can't get a filter on this tiny camera which is the size of a pack of cards.

And it's that small size that makes it possible for you to have around when an opportunity like this comes up! Great shooting.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greg hxc
    I'd suggest investing in a polarizing filter which I believe will eliminate your water reflections.
    In this case, I'd disagree. I actually like the clear separation of air/water that you'd lose when taking out that sky reflection.
    I also like the way the sky/cloud pattern on the water is curved in a mimic of the frog's curves.

Looks like the A20 is a bit like my Minolta A2, the focus point isn't always where you want it? In this case I think it's picked the nostrils rather than the eyes, and I think of photos like this as a portrait.
    I've got a nice snail photo which is only a "C" grade in my opinion because of the narrow depth of field in a macro shot, and it focussed on the shell and not the eyes on the stalks.

I'm taking more and more to trying to manually focus the A2, but you may have no such option on the A20.

It's a really nice photo, and it makes me consider getting a small slim point & shoot for my shirt pocket just in case a shot comes along. I'd rather get it on 2mp than miss it on 8mp
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Yes I felt the reflection bit was fine. It is also faithfully reproduces the actual scene. But make no mistake this pic is a good reflection on the X20 - point and shoot macro option is very pleasing. Olympus have introduced the AZ-1 3mp in Japan and I will be very interested in trying one of these out as well. Thanks PAul.

mjm
    that guy.
    I think the reflection is a little distracting as well. Perhaps crop out the right side of the image a little.

Here's another pic I took with the X20 (all these are not touched by any software)...how i didn't frighten this amphibian..! He (or she) is a star ! This is pushing the macro....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ..and finally the MACROak Frog !-frog2.jpg  

Hey Dave L,
    Yes there are a few little nit piks here and there, but overall this shot is interesting to view because of the cooperation of your subject and your good shootin. If it works, leave it alone. This shot works.
    good job for a point and shoot. I have a vivitar 2mp point and shoot that I used before getting my slr, and I have to say it took some pretty good macro as well. I think I will carry it around with me more often as what SmartWombat says is wise. Looking forward to more from you.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Dave L
    He (or she) is a star !
    Absolutely Dave!

Strange. I gave this shot very little attention. Looking at this raised pond...saw the frog..thought aha ! he looks like a prime candidate for a masterpiece. Took four short snaps in 30 seconds on auto macro focus and hey presto an interesting snap....I didn't realise how good it was until I saw it on the pc ! Little gem albeit it with a few imperfections ! The owners of the pond were amazed at the quality of the pic from the x20....I wonder if the subject could be entered in a talent comp ? Move aside Liz Taylor......

Thread Information