Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    D80. 50mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8. SB 600. DLB1973's Avatar

Watching the Sky Fall

Taken on one of our recent rare sunny days here in the PNW.
    db

Re: Watching the Sky Fall

This is an interesting concept. I like the yellow against the sky and the play with shapes that the image has. Still, it does not keep my attention for long. It would have been a little better, perhaps, if the parachute was much closer or much bigger in the frame, as there are probably really nice shapes and colors in it, which cannot be seen from this distance. I am sure capturing that is no easy task, however ...

Well caught

This has more going for it than a lot of my parachute captures, definitely more artistic. I find the chute and the moon a little small here, with a lot of negative space, but if either was larger the other would be out of the shot. I struggle with this type of shot, and usually they end up on the cutting room floor.
    I have a lot of opportunity to capture parachute photographs. I find that I am mostly journalistic in the capture, and I wish I could be more artistic with them. I really don't even know what makes a good parachute/action shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Watching the Sky Fall-img_2256-13.jpg   Watching the Sky Fall-img_2292-49.jpg  
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

love the one with the moon.....
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

I think the last one is the best of them. It's more engaging to me as a viewer. The landing is imminent giving me a sense of things about to happen. The others, not so much. Hard to shoot these guys though, they move faster than you think (I've been on the jumping end, not the photographing end) so good job capturing them.

love it db. very simple and effective.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

dlb, I really like your shot. Very pleasing colors and, because the moon and the parachuter (parachutist?) are relatively the same size it has potential for story making.

GB1

DB, It's hard to get creative with parachutists .. I know as I was in the sport for ~ 15 years. Where did you shoot these? I used to jump at a place named Kapowsin, but this doesn't look like it's it.

I think the bottom image from the second posting is the winner. The angle and exposure work for me, and the guy's chute is nicely colored. I wish he was looking at you as you snapped it, but he's preparing to land so his attention's on that.

A good shot might be shooting straight at a chutist is coming right at you, when he's only about 50 feet from the ground (and you could use your zoom) would be a great shot, but not practical as he would have to hit you for this to work.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Is there a confusion about the original photographer in this thread?

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by arne saknussen
    Is there a confusion about the original photographer in this thread?
    Oops - you are right! I normally don't read the threads beforehand so to provide my own opinions - uninfluenced - beforehand. I guess I need to look a little more carefully.

DB, check out what EOS did. The moon is a nice touch, however.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

DB, I think there is good potential in your image of moon and chutist. I like the two elements and their size together as well as the space between them but I think this needs more space around the frame to make it all work and balance in a comfortable way. If this was a crop, I suggest loosening up more around all edges so the the moon and chutist are more in center.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information