Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Waiting

That dude with a camera

Waiting

n8

Re: Waiting

I like it, composition and all. This is beyond your control, but the only thing that would have made it better was if the other people had more motion.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

I might crop this at the top of the center sign pole right underneath the arrow sign and a corresponding distance from the right. The legs of all the people at top draw my attention and cutting them out would simplify and improve the photo, I think.

Like the "T" one you posted, this says "Boston" to me, though it could be NY or NJ or PA.

The blur is interesting. I don't really look at it at first and then I realize I can make out features of the car in front of the man.

Whoa ! Excellent !

Looks like you asked all the people in the background to step back, but they didn't go back far enough

That dude with a camera

Thank you, guys.
    The people were watching a street dancing show, that I also photographed btw.

Here is the crop

This was taken on the same day.

I really like the first, and specifically like the cropped people standing in line at the top. I didn't see them a first, but to me really adds resonance to "waiting."

Love It!

Very, very nice! It's the first of your photos that I've seen here where it felt like the composition really got focused and strong. That still guys standing on the island really gives it a a solid focal point. I think a tighter crop from the left would make it even stronger. I'd crop it a bity tighter all around but especially get rid of the light pole on the left. That keeps pulling my eye away from the real action (or inaction) in the photo - the still guy and the blurred car. The feet at the top don't bother me a bit, though.

Another thing I'd do is rotate it a bit so the poles are vertical. It's ok to have some tilt in photos but you really have to think about why you're doing it. Sometimes it adds a bit of a dynamic that would be missing in the perfectly horizontal photo. But in this case it just looks sloppy to me.

What kind of gear are you shooting with? Your photos always look pretty dark and contrasty to me. It could be your "style" or it could be bad exposure and /or processing. Regardless, whenever I see your photos they feel too dark and blocked up in the shadows to me. If you like dark, that's fine. But you can have dark photos that don't feel too heavy. I find it's a distraction for me in your photos. They're your photos and you can do as you please but it's something to think about. I've looked at enough of them that I feel justified in saying something about it.

Great photo. Thanks for sharing it. I keep looking at your photos and waiting for something to really get to me and this is the first one that has. Keep shooting and keep sharing. Think about what you're trying to say with the photos and watch your composition carefully while you're shooting. Congratulations on getting Featured Photo
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

That dude with a camera

Thank you.

I used a Sony A100 with a Minolta 50mm 1.7.
    I am starting to tone down my contrast, this is not the first time that somebody points out my over-darkening, probably due to the fact that I increase the contrast on camera, and then increase it a bit on post-processing, or maybe is because of the darkness of the program that I use to edit, i.e. ACDSee.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre da Veiga View Post
    Thank you.

I used a Sony A100 with a Minolta 50mm 1.7.
    I am starting to tone down my contrast, this is not the first time that somebody points out my over-darkening, probably due to the fact that I increase the contrast on camera, and then increase it a bit on post-processing, or maybe is because of the darkness of the program that I use to edit, i.e. ACDSee.
    The camera is fine. I was thinking maybe you were shooting film and it was a scanning problem. Your editing program shouldn't matter, as long as you're using the right colorspace and your monitor is reasonably well profiled. Is your monitor calibrated? Do the images look dark to you, too?
    Photo-John

That dude with a camera

Yes, they do look dark.
    I said that it might be the program, because the background, or the theme colour is dark gray, so I only notice how dark it is when I post it in a white background, like this forum.

GB1

Good idea and creativity. Black and white works so well in the city! Congrats on the sticky, too.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Critique?

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Good idea and creativity. Black and white works so well in the city! Congrats on the sticky, too.
    Got any suggestions for Alexandre? You've said what you like but surely there must be some little bit of constructive criticism you can offer?
    Photo-John

GB1

Re: Critique?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Got any suggestions for Alexandre? You've said what you like but surely there must be some little bit of constructive criticism you can offer?
    The only suggestion I could make would be to possibly crop in a bit so to remove some of the objects on the left, right, or top. For example, some of the busy area at the top and, as much as I like it, the light pole on the left. This may make it cleaner.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information