Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Stillness

Stillness

As usual, all comments and critique appreciated.

Leica IIIc, 50mm lens, T400CN B&W film.

Tuna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stillness-t400cn20cbr.jpg  

Re: Stillness

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    As usual, all comments and critique appreciated.

Leica IIIc, 50mm lens, T400CN B&W film.

Tuna
    Interesting treatment of this subject with B&W and a short lens, but not as compelling as much of your other work. It's nice to try some different subjects, though, isn't it?

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

I'm not really sure that this image "works" for me... The only element I really like is the water.. sorry!
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Tuna, I like this. Gives me the feeling of stillness. It comes off looking like a charcoal sketch. Also like the bit of grass in the foreground. I have a similiar shot that i converted to b&w like this of an Egret fishing in the still marsh water during early morning. Good work.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    It comes off looking like a charcoal sketch.
    Charcoal!! That's it, that's exactly why I like the water !
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

I like this image a lot. This is the best I have seen from you so far. I wouldn't change a thing about it except remove the border.

Greg

tuna..I feel that it works. The swirling water, the reflected clouds, the sillouette of the bird. Classic beauty. One little nit pic. I would like to see it without the grass along the bottom. At least not all the way across. I think it's alittle distracting from the scene. I envision it with the land and water and bird only. It has a painterly look to it.
    Kit

Quote Originally Posted by dadas115
    I like this image a lot. This is the best I have seen from you so far. I wouldn't change a thing about it except remove the border.

Greg
    Thanks for the kind comment, Greg. I fully agree about borders taking away from the photo and being unnecessary and I usually don't post with a border - but in this case, I was afraid that the blown-out highlights in the top portion of the photo would have been confusing when displayed against the white of the page.

Thanks again.

Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    tuna..I feel that it works. The swirling water, the reflected clouds, the sillouette of the bird. Classic beauty. One little nit pic. I would like to see it without the grass along the bottom. At least not all the way across. I think it's alittle distracting from the scene. I envision it with the land and water and bird only. It has a painterly look to it.
    Kit
    Thank you for commenting, Kit. I thought long and hard about cropping in tighter and cloning out whatever remaining bits of grass that may be in the photo. But, to me, it was strange to see the bird in the middle of what, initially, looks like sky instead of water. I left the grass on the edges - to hopefully provide an immediate clue to the surroundings and setting of the photo. I was so focused on getting an uninterrupted shadow that I moved closer instead of further away which might have provided for more grass and may have looked a little better composed at the bottom.

Then again, it may work well for some other viewers as you have suggested...

Tuna

Thread Information