Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Verbena Bush

Verbena Bush

I took some shots of a lovely verbena bush in my yard, mostly because my wife wants to get rid of it, but also as an excuse to take more photos. I don't fight my wife on too many things but I think it would be a shame to get rid of this bush and I thought some lovely photos of it might convince her otherwise. Also, if I do give in, I'd like to remember it.

lighting was not great, as it was very overcast. I'm also wondering if I can get the camera to take a bit sharper pictures. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Cropped and lighting tweaked

Original shot unretouched

The whole bush

With fill flash used

To see the larger images and photo properties please go to my Flickr page:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikzen...7605468970455/

Re: Verbena Bush

Do you use a tripod?
    Are you using manual focus? Thats the best for macro type shots.
    I like the first the best. although it seems almost a shade dark to me.
    The second seems to be off a bit in the white balance.
    My other complaint is that they seem to be all straight on shots.
    Maybe try some more creative angles and keeps flowers that don't need to be there out of the shot.

I didn't use a tripod or manual focus for these shots. I will give that a try and see what kind of results I can get.

The first and second shots are actually the same shot. The first I cropped and tried to adjust the lighting using fill flash in PS. The second one is just as it came out of the camera. I could go back and try to lighten it up a bit. How do you know/see/feel if a shot is too dark. Same question for the white balance, how do you know what is "right"?

Good suggestion regarding composition. I felt the same way when I was cropping the shot. I wished I had done a better job of isolating one individual flower. I will try some different angles.

Thanks for the feedback!

Having done some flower shots myself this Spring, I quickly figured out it's much more difficult than it looks! So with that said, these aren't bad. The first one is the best. The white balance is a little warm on the rest. The last shot looks a little over exposed.

The first shot's exposure looks about right to me. It's very, very easy to over expose white flowers and lose the detail in the petals. So I actually prefer the surroundings to look "dark" in order to preserve detail, while the white flower still looks quite bright anyway. Tiff is right about the framing; unique angles are quite difficult to find, so that'll be a good challenge for you.

What I would change is depth of field. Use a wider aperture to isolate the flower better and blur out the background. And to assist you in doing that, get as close to the flower as you possibly can. The method I typically use is focusing all the way down to minimum distance, then I move the camera back and forth to place the focal plane. Tip - always keep the stamen in focus, which you did here.

As far as sharpness, you're pretty much at the mercy of the lens. Macro photography more than just about anything else will really give away the resolving power of a lens. It may also help, if you have Photoshop, to shoot in RAW and convert in PS. You might get a little extra detail - but don't expect big changes. It will make it easy to fix the white balance as well.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

The only reason I say it's dark is because... it looks a little dark to me. I compare it to what I have seen in the past that people here have considered well exposed and what has been considered dark. This place is really good for learning things like that.
    Another thing is it might look dark on my screen and not on your because my screen is not properly calibrated and I don't know if your is or not.
    Do you know how to read a histogram?
    That can really be the most useful tool.

As far as white balance, the second shot just looked like it had a green wash to me compared to the top shot witch seems to have fairly nice whites. so that makes me think your white balance is off.

I'm not the best person to answer all these questions but I am getting a pretty good understanding the more I read the critique forum and get out and try everything I learn.

Good luck
    Tiff

I like the first pic the most. Glad that you cropped the second one You may also remove the white petal in the top right hand corner and the other one on the lower right hand side along the frame of that photo. The top part of the flower could be a tad brighter, too, but not too much.

Thread Information