GB1
    1 Attachment(s)
    The Valley of Fires
    ... New Mexico. Comments welcome.

Attachment 92943
  • 05-11-2014, 08:02 PM
    armando_m
    Re: The Valley of Fires
    The bottom is almost b&W, very muted colors, with the sunset I would expect the grass to shine way more orange, other than that I quite like the image
  • 05-12-2014, 10:00 AM
    tooljunkie
    The photo works for me. I like that the fore ground is still visible.
  • 05-14-2014, 03:25 AM
    nathan290
    Good Photo, also publish in youpic.
  • 05-14-2014, 09:30 AM
    GB1
    Fellows -

Thanks for taking a look. This is actually an HDR, but I purposely edited it so not to have an overly surreal look. I just wanted a touch of the foreground to be visible.

Armando, I think it's pretty common for dark areas to appear black and white. I don't know if it's related to image viewing, but they say the human eye's pods which are only sensitive to black and white are more light-sensitive than the eye's cones, which record color. Hence, dark areas (and possibly darker parts of an image) will appear colorless. All this in addition to the fact that there really wasn't anything colorful around there anyway.. too bad the scene didn't have a flower or two blossoming right there, it would have added foreground interest. And yeah, not much glow in the grass ... it seems that NM light is less intensive than Arizona's.

Thanks also Tooljunkie, and Nathan.

G
  • 05-25-2014, 03:18 AM
    hminx
    I think the composition is just fine, I would like to see a bit more definition and contrast in your foreground elements, the sun ( that white blown out blobby thing.....:) ) seems to take charge of the image but there are more interesting bits that make up this scene and I think they need to be enhanced.