Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Vacant Summer Home

This is my first post here, assuming I get it figured out and all done correctly. Comments welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacant Summer Home-spiderhouse.jpg  
    Aaron

Re: Vacant Summer Home

Well shucks, I guess it's just not good enough for a comment?
    Aaron

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron
    This is my first post here, assuming I get it figured out and all done correctly. Comments welcome.
    Hello Aaron,

First of all, welcome aboard.

About your picture, perhaps it's just me but I had to look twice to figure out what I was watching. Once I did, it was ok with me but I find that kind of ambiguity to lessen the impact of the picture.

I think that there are problematic aspects here. First of all, your main subject is partly blown out due to light reflection. Shooting when the light is softer and/or with a polarizer should solve the problem (unless you have used a flash in which case you might want to shoot again without it).

Also, your subject somewhat blend into the background due to the uniforms colors. Obviously, I understand that you have no control on the colors that mother nature chose to put there but shooting from a different angle may help, depending on the surrounding.

That being said, I like the sharpness of your picture and the proper use of deep of field.

keep them coming!

Seb

Hey thanks for the advice and taking time to comment Seb! I appreciate your comments, just the type of information I'm looking for to improve.
    Aaron

Hey thanks for the advice and taking time to comment Seb! I appreciate your comments, just the type of information I'm looking for to improve.

Seb, see if this one looks any better, the first one I did not have PhotoShop to use on it and got a bit over zealous with the contrast on another program.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Aaron

I like the second edition, Aaron. Not sure why. . could be that the horizontal framing and the less bright bg and better exposed subject help bring it out more.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks Gary, I've just gotten into PhotoShop and I already see why everyone uses it so much! A vast improvement over my previous editing software.
    Aaron

Seb

Seb, see if this one looks any better, the first one I did not have PhotoShop to use on it and got a bit over zealous with the contrast on another program.
    Hello Aaron,

I too think that this is a great improvement over your original shot. The crop is more appealing to me but most importantly, your subject is more defined which was the main issue with your first post as I see it.

I'd like to know, what have you done to the latter picture?

Seb

Hello Aaron
    The main subject, the thingy in the web, seems to have sun glare on it and consequently the camera may have had problems focussing on it.. Whats most sharply in focus I think is the part of the web on the RH side, it seems to be nearer the camera than the thingy and thats what the camera has focussed mostly on, leaving the main subject a little out of focus. I think you choose a difficult enough one here but nevertheless you produced a very good effort.
    Excuse my ignorance Aaron but what exactly is the thingy in the middle..?
    Tom

Seb - it wasn't as much what I did as what I didn't do First going back to the origianal file, a change in the crop, then not getting over enthusiastic with the contrast. I was using a much less capable software program on the photo, and this time I was using PhotoShop Elements, it does a much better job!

Tom-- the thing in the middle is a spider egg sack (summer home) when the little spiders hatch out they leave via the webbs and the empty home (nest??) behind. I suspect your analysis of the focus is correct, the D70 is new to me so I am still learning how best to make use of its' capabilities.

Thanks to both of you for taking time to look and help-- Happy New Year!
    Aaron

Thread Information