Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Up and Over

Up and Over

We don't get many sports pictures here on critque so I decided to give you guys something rip. I love sports photography, but don't get a chance to do the kind of events I'd really like to photograph. Mostly youth and high school stuff around me. At any rate I attended my first track meet of the spring yesterday afternoon, I have a few for you to pass judgement on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Up and Over-dsc_7678.jpg   Up and Over-dsc_7658.jpg   Up and Over-dsc_7642-clone.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Up and Over

seems like you got a mirror lens, am i right?
    all 3 pic's timing is excellent~I used to do tons of sports photograhy for my high school's yearbook, and these kinda pic are exactly what yearbook people love to see~my only critiqe would be the BG color can be boost up a little~

The Photoman AYU

Quote Originally Posted by hellinvader
    seems like you got a mirror lens, am i right?
    all 3 pic's timing is excellent~I used to do tons of sports photograhy for my high school's yearbook, and these kinda pic are exactly what yearbook people love to see~my only critiqe would be the BG color can be boost up a little~
    Thanks for the comments. I did my first sports photos for my college yearbook but that was many years ago and 95% b&w. Two of these were shot with the 80-200 at 200 and the long jump was with a 28-70mm at 70mm laying on the ground at the end of the pit. As for the back ground I had purposely darkened them to allow the athletes to stand out a little more. Thanks for your comments they are much appreciated..

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Those are excellent action shots, and you managed to capture these at just the right moment. My only nitpic is that the colors are slightly flat, other than that I love them.
    ~Nina~

the second one looks slightly over-saturated... everything else is really sweet

Senile Member

Nice sports shots, I tend to think the colors can be boosted a bit also, some of the shots look a little lusterless. I hope you didn't get any sand in your camera from the long jump pit. Overall good shots

Thanks to all who commented. As usual in a situation like this it was less than perfect condition to shot under. Bright sun at at the top of vault heavy shadows on the take off, runner going in and out of the shadows down the stretch. But no rain so who am I to complain. I didn't really notice about the flatness of color, I'll have to watch that. Thanks again for your input.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information